New members for my (tiny) flock

MaeM

Songster
Dec 9, 2020
Hi, everyone! So I've been trying to find some information about adding new members to the flock, but everything I found was related to adult chickens, and my current (tiny) flock is actually a duet of 2 months old chicks —one pullet (New Hampshire) and one cockerel (Plymouth Rock). I'm assuming this changes the rules, but how? I'd like to add 2 more pullets, in order to reduce risks they'd be around the same age, but what else can I do for a successful integration?

Thanks 😊

I do the see but no touch integration for a couple weeks after I have isolated the new members to make sure they aren’t bringing any disease to my flock. This works for all ages.

Even if they're all vaccinated?

Even if they're all vaccinated?
Not everything can be vaccinated against.
Consider biological/medical quarantine:
BYC Medical Quarantine Article

2mo olds are old enough to be territorial.
Small numbers f bird are often in small coops/runs,
lots of space is best for integration.

Integration Basics:
It's all about territory and resources(space/food/water).
Existing birds will almost always attack new ones to defend their resources.
Understanding chicken behaviors is essential to integrating new birds into your flock.

Confine new birds within sight but physically segregated from older/existing birds for several weeks, so they can see and get used to each other but not physically interact.

In adjacent runs, spread scratch grains along the dividing mesh, best if mesh is just big enough for birds to stick their head thru, so they get used to eating together.

The more space, the better.
Birds will peck to establish dominance, the pecked bird needs space to get away. As long as there's no copious blood drawn and/or new bird is not trapped/pinned down and beaten unmercilessly, let them work it out. Every time you interfere or remove new birds, they'll have to start the pecking order thing all over again.

Multiple feed/water stations. Dominance issues are most often carried out over sustenance, more stations lessens the frequency of that issue.

Places for the new birds to hide 'out of line of sight'(but not a dead end trap) and/or up and away from any bully birds. Roosts, pallets or boards leaned up against walls or up on concrete blocks, old chairs tables, branches, logs, stumps out in the run can really help. Lots of diversion and places to 'hide' instead of bare wide open run.

Good ideas for hiding places:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/a-cluttered-run.1323792/

This is the kind of information I was looking for! Thanks a lot! I haven't gathered all the chicks in the same place yet, but they've seen each other when I brought the new ones and the old ones wanted to peck the shit out of them. The new ones were terrified, poor babies :hit(they're only 2 weeks younger, though).

I still have a question: what happens at night? Right now my babies are quarantined, but when that period is over, where will they sleep? Is a run with places to hide enough to avoid tragedies (especially when I'm not watching them)?

I still have a question: what happens at night? Right now my babies are quarantined, but when that period is over, where will they sleep? Is a run with places to hide enough to avoid tragedies (especially when I'm not watching them)?

For safety I provide my chicks with safe overnight areas - once they're kicked out of the brooder I'll fence/cage off a bit of the coop for them. My latest batch slept in a rat cage for 2 days during the transition period.

How do I know they're ready to join the adults full time? They let me know by following the adults into the coop, without me needing to put them somewhere safe.

When they finally join the adults I'll also either prop open the pop door or set it to open early, so the chicks can run for it first thing in the morning, if needed.

My brooder & early integration article: https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/short-on-time-recycle-a-prefab-brooder.73985/

Guys, I'm really struggling with integration.

Currently, my flock is:
- 1 New Hampshire pullet (3 months old)
- 2 Barred Rocks pullets (Not sure about their age, but around 2-3 months, too).
- 1 Barred Rock cockerel (Same as above).
- 2 Rhode Island pullets (Almost 3 months old).

Barred Rocks came all together from a rescue center, after I lost my previous Barred Rock cockerel.

Even though they were the new ones, right away they became the bullies of the flock. They kind of respect the New Hampshire pullet (KIND OF), but they drive the Rhode Islands CRAZY, and worst part is the New Hampshire pullet joined them! (she was previously accepting of the Rhode Islands, when the original Barred Rock cockerel disappeared).

It's been several weeks and I've tried EVERYTHING that I learned here.

I even amplified the coop/run ($$$!), but they chase them to peck at them anyway (VIOLENTLY). Except when they free range because I have a really big backyard, but I can't let them free range all day long...

When I added other food/water stations, they ****ing stopped eating/drinking in "their" stations and chased them, too!

After noticing all this, I divided the run so they could live together without physical contact. No results so far. How many weeks does this take????

Is the run wide open, as in every bird can see every other bird 100% of time? If you have have multiple feeders, can a bird see another bird eating at a different feed station while eating herself? That is what you need to add.

Add pallets, up on blocks, or leaned against a wall, stick a feed bowl behind or under them. Feed in several places - it is ok if you put it on the ground. Add roosts, mini walls, ladders saw horses, things birds can duck behind and get out of sight.

SPACE is almost always an issue and how the space is used. Some people have had good results with pin-less peepers often help in these situations too.

Mrs K

Back
Top Bottom