New Mexico- Bloomfield city ordinance

tjohnson505

In the Brooder
Jan 20, 2016
Hi there I am looking for info on how to go about trying to change my city's ordinance on having chickens. I live in Bloomfield, NM and am not sure where to even begin. Please help! Thank you!

I don't believe there is such a thing. You can have chickens in city limits

ARTICLE III. - LIVESTOCK
FOOTNOTE(S):

--- (4) ---

State Law reference— Livestock board, N.M.S.A. 1978, § 77-2-1 et seq.

Sec. 4-71. - Defined.
The term "livestock" as used in this article shall mean horses, burros, cattle, sheep, goats and swine.

(Ord. No. 12, § 5, 12-22-53)

Cross reference— Definitions and rules of construction generally, § 1-2.

Sec. 4-72. - Running at large prohibited.
It is unlawful for any owner, possessor or keeper of any livestock in the city to permit the same to run at large within the city. Livestock shall be deemed to be running at large when off or away from the premises of the owner, possessor or keeper or his agent or servant or a member of his immediate family, not restrained either by leash, cord or chain, not more than ten (10) feet in length; except for herding permitted under section 4-73.

(Ord. No. 12, § 1, 12-22-53)

Cross reference— Streets, sidewalks and other public places, Ch. 15.

State law reference— Estrays, N.M.S.A. 1978, § 77-13-1 et seq.

Sec. 4-73. - Control while driving through streets.
It shall be unlawful for any person to drive livestock in, on or through the city unless a written permit has been obtained from the chief of police and there be one (1) person or more in close control of such livestock in such manner as to cause such livestock to make way for pedestrians and motor vehicles driving upon the streets and alleys of the city; and any and all persons driving livestock in or through the city to have the livestock under control with a rope on such livestock, or have such livestock driven by sufficient herders to manage and direct such livestock in such manner as not to interfere with pedestrians or motor vehicles travelling on the streets and alleys of the city.

(Ord. No. 12, § 2, 12-22-53)

State law reference— Herding, N.M.S.A. 1978, § 77-11-1 et seq.

Sec. 4-74. - Regulations for keeping.
It shall be unlawful for any person to keep any livestock in the city unless such livestock be enclosed by a fence around the land in which such livestock is kept. It shall be unlawful for any person to keep or maintain livestock in the city in or on premises, enclosures, buildings or structures which are not at all times maintained in a sanitary condition, or in such condition as to prevent odors from such premises which will be offensive to persons in the city.

(Ord. No. 12, § 3, 12-22-53)

Secs. 4-75—4-85. - Reserved.

I called the zoning manager myself and gave my address there is an ordinance for my home. She sent me a zoning map and a detailed ordinance, I'll have to look through my emails for it. There's lots of people around me that have them- apparently they just didn't check 1st.
I don't believe there is such a thing. You can have chickens in city limits

ARTICLE III. - LIVESTOCK
FOOTNOTE(S):

--- (4) ---

State Law reference— Livestock board, N.M.S.A. 1978, § 77-2-1 et seq.

Sec. 4-71. - Defined.
The term "livestock" as used in this article shall mean horses, burros, cattle, sheep, goats and swine.

(Ord. No. 12, § 5, 12-22-53)

Cross reference— Definitions and rules of construction generally, § 1-2.

Sec. 4-72. - Running at large prohibited.
It is unlawful for any owner, possessor or keeper of any livestock in the city to permit the same to run at large within the city. Livestock shall be deemed to be running at large when off or away from the premises of the owner, possessor or keeper or his agent or servant or a member of his immediate family, not restrained either by leash, cord or chain, not more than ten (10) feet in length; except for herding permitted under section 4-73.

(Ord. No. 12, § 1, 12-22-53)

State law reference— Estrays, N.M.S.A. 1978, § 77-13-1 et seq.

Sec. 4-73. - Control while driving through streets.
It shall be unlawful for any person to drive livestock in, on or through the city unless a written permit has been obtained from the chief of police and there be one (1) person or more in close control of such livestock in such manner as to cause such livestock to make way for pedestrians and motor vehicles driving upon the streets and alleys of the city; and any and all persons driving livestock in or through the city to have the livestock under control with a rope on such livestock, or have such livestock driven by sufficient herders to manage and direct such livestock in such manner as not to interfere with pedestrians or motor vehicles travelling on the streets and alleys of the city.

(Ord. No. 12, § 2, 12-22-53)

State law reference— Herding, N.M.S.A. 1978, § 77-11-1 et seq.

Sec. 4-74. - Regulations for keeping.
It shall be unlawful for any person to keep any livestock in the city unless such livestock be enclosed by a fence around the land in which such livestock is kept. It shall be unlawful for any person to keep or maintain livestock in the city in or on premises, enclosures, buildings or structures which are not at all times maintained in a sanitary condition, or in such condition as to prevent odors from such premises which will be offensive to persons in the city.

(Ord. No. 12, § 3, 12-22-53)

Secs. 4-75—4-85. - Reserved.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom