New Mexico

Hi everyone I sure am glad that I found this site through backyard chickens. I am a new chicken member as well,
1f602.png
we live out in Rio communities which is just North of Belen. I don't know why they call it Rio communities because it seems like it's all one little city anyway LOL.
We have just got it started with our new pullet family of 8 and my husband is working on our chicken coop. I was pretty nervous when we came home with 8
1f636.png
instead of 2 because neither one of us has had chickens lol but I think it's going to be a good adventure. It is nice to see people from New Mexico on this site
1f60e.png
I'm going to save it in case I have questions as well, it'll be cool to work together with everybody thanks for being a part of chicken talk.

frow.gif
Welcome to the crazy world of chickening! Post pics of your coop when you get it done.

Hi all!
1f425.png
I am curious to know when to introduce myself pullets to gravel? I can't wait until this wind is over!! My chick's and I are just hanging out in the house because of it, boring!! Just means housework instead of chicken play
1f610.png

Look for the button (the second one in below the "Post A Reply" tab, right previous to the "Search this thread" icon), tap it and hit "Subscribe"
There's also a button at the top right below the "New Mexico -- Page xxx" banner.

Last edited:
Hello, fellow New Mexicans!

I'm hoping to salvage an old coop on my property (see this thread) for my incoming chickies -- BUT just in case... does anyone have a local NM coop builders they'd recommend, who builds coops for other people and could service the Santa Fe area? I really don't think I have the time/skill to build my own coop from scratch, but I definitely want to avoid buying a prefab coop from a store if I can help it.

Hello, fellow New Mexicans!

I'm hoping to salvage an old coop on my property (see this thread) for my incoming chickies -- BUT just in case... does anyone have a local NM coop builders they'd recommend, who builds coops for other people and could service the Santa Fe area? I really don't think I have the time/skill to build my own coop from scratch, but I definitely want to avoid buying a prefab coop from a store if I can help it.
I think your best bet is to tear that coop back to the framework, dig out the floor and then go from there. In my opinion the siding and roof need replaced. Since you say you are not a carpenter etc. (and you probably don't have the tools either) you would be better off hiring someone locally to do the work. I don't live in SF, so can't really suggest anyone, but there must be any number of handy persons there. Maybe have them come by and give you an estimate and what their plan would be. That way you could meet them in person, hear their estimate/plan and choose from that. Also be sure and ask how long it will take... I hate to say it but sometimes when you pay people ahead of time, they just take off and have a good time with the money. So you might need to work something out that way: payment at the end of the job or something. However... I will say... when someone is doing a job like that, a lot of times they can not afford to buy the materials ahead. But again you can work that out with someone.

Welcome to the NM thread, and keep us up to date about what happens! Looks like an intriguing project!

I think your best bet is to tear that coop back to the framework, dig out the floor and then go from there. In my opinion the siding and roof need replaced. Since you say you are not a carpenter etc. (and you probably don't have the tools either) you would be better off hiring someone locally to do the work. I don't live in SF, so can't really suggest anyone, but there must be any number of handy persons there. Maybe have them come by and give you an estimate and what their plan would be. That way you could meet them in person, hear their estimate/plan and choose from that. Also be sure and ask how long it will take... I hate to say it but sometimes when you pay people ahead of time, they just take off and have a good time with the money. So you might need to work something out that way: payment at the end of the job or something. However... I will say... when someone is doing a job like that, a lot of times they can not afford to buy the materials ahead. But again you can work that out with someone. 

Welcome to the NM thread, and keep us up to date about what happens! Looks like an intriguing project! 

Thanks!!! I've been keeping my eye out for a handy person to help me, just as you suggest, but I just haven't been able to find anyone at all after months of looking!

I think I will just have to roll up my sleeves and do this myself.
1f609.png
My inexperience means I'm wary of having to put up a new frame... but building onto an existing frame I think I can do...

What's the best way of getting the old siding/roof off? Prybar? Or saw through the nails?

Thanks!!! I've been keeping my eye out for a handy person to help me, just as you suggest, but I just haven't been able to find anyone at all after months of looking!

1f609.png
My inexperience means I'm wary of having to put up a new frame... but building onto an existing frame I think I can do...

What's the best way of getting the old siding/roof off? Prybar? Or saw through the nails?
Go to Home Depot, or Lowe's (or both!) and ask the people there if they know of someone who could build a chicken coop for you. I bet they can put you on to someone. I know there are people there who do work like that, I've met them before. Just don't know of anyone in person right now.

You need to pull those nails out all the way (or unscrew the screws, whatever). If you leave little bits of metal they will come back to haunt you.

1f609.png

Prybar, or you can use a rubber mallet from the inside to pop off the wood if you want to re-use it. (I love old, distressed wood.)

Remember, chickens don't need perfection, they are pretty forgiving if the walls aren't quite square or plumb.
smile.png
They just need an area where they can get out of drafts but with good ventilation. Factor in predator protection though, because if you don't have a very secure area expect to have some losses now and then.

Back
Top Bottom