New Mexico

Zoomie
I do not have Faverolles. I have a white Silkie and her 4 babies that she hatched. I just adopted 2 Easter eggers. I just ordered 12 eggs from Blue House Farm in NC, 3 barnevelders, 3 Lavender ameracanas, 3 Crested Cream Legbars and 3 Swedish Flower.
I am trying to find homes for my 2 Silkie showgirl babies, 3 months old, 1 jet black and 1 partridge.
Well those sounds like some very nice chickens! I will have to check out Blue House Farm and see what their Barnies look like. Are you going to raise Barnevelders or are they just for a beautiful flock?

Alas, I just had to put two extra cockerels in the freezer. They were just at the point where they would have started to cause trouble. Very sad, but you can't keep them all... and now I have two nice chickens for food, so it's all good.

Spring is coming... my crocus have started to come up! I suppose you who are further south (and a lower elevation - I live at 7,600') have already got flowers?

Well those sounds like some very nice chickens! I will have to check out Blue House Farm and see what their Barnies look like. Are you going to raise Barnevelders or are they just for a beautiful flock?

Alas, I just had to put two extra cockerels in the freezer. They were just at the point where they would have started to cause trouble. Very sad, but you can't keep them all... and now I have two nice chickens for food, so it's all good.

Spring is coming... my crocus have started to come up! I suppose you who are further south (and a lower elevation - I live at 7,600') have already got flowers?
No flowers here, but I don't have anything early like crocus. Lots of mustard popping up in the back section of the yard, though!

@FridayYet Never thought I'd tell someone they were lucky to have weeds, but... wow, you are so lucky!
big_smile.png

However.... I have known of years when we got a huge snowfall in March!!!! I am not "counting my chickens" just yet, we could still get a big storm. Which, I guess, would be good for the skiers...

I've got daffodils here and there blooming. Iris are still about 5" tall and far from blooming. My garden apricot went into full fluffy white bloom -- the bees if you stood underneath it were deafening -- right before the freeze. Boom! Now it looks like a 3-week old white rose bouquet (wilty brown) and none of the blossoms are falling off because they're all withered and stuck to the limbs. Two other apricots are attempting to bloom now, so no guarantee if there's a fruit crop this year.

I should clarify as "no guarantee of an apricot fruit crop this year." The peaches look great with lots of buds forming and so do the cherries. Apples haven't hinted at much of anything yet.

Our new crabapple tree is just starting to bud, and sections of the cottonwoods are budding out too. Time to get ready for the "picking-out-the-sticky-cottonwood-bud-from-the-dog's-coats" time of year.

My irises are growing, and some of the garlic is up.

Does any one know where i can get some hens at?
Well sure! There is a lady who lives near Las Vegas, NM who sells started pullets. Is that what you're talking about? Sometimes she'll sell POL hens, but of course they are going to cost more. She always has an interesting mix of breeds because she is doing experiments with genetics, trying for certain colors and so on, plus she's interested in heritage breeds. I have no idea what she's got right now, but if you PM me I'll give her contact info to you.

Hi everyone I sure am glad that I found this site through backyard chickens. I am a new chicken member as well,
1f602.png
we live out in Rio communities which is just North of Belen. I don't know why they call it Rio communities because it seems like it's all one little city anyway LOL.
We have just got it started with our new pullet family of 8 and my husband is working on our chicken coop. I was pretty nervous when we came home with 8
1f636.png
instead of 2 because neither one of us has had chickens lol but I think it's going to be a good adventure. It is nice to see people from New Mexico on this site
1f60e.png
I'm going to save it in case I have questions as well, it'll be cool to work together with everybody thanks for being a part of chicken talk.

Hi everyone I sure am glad that I found this site through backyard chickens. I am a new chicken member as well,
1f602.png
we live out in Rio communities which is just North of Belen. I don't know why they call it Rio communities because it seems like it's all one little city anyway LOL.
We have just got it started with our new pullet family of 8 and my husband is working on our chicken coop. I was pretty nervous when we came home with 8
1f636.png
instead of 2 because neither one of us has had chickens lol but I think it's going to be a good adventure. It is nice to see people from New Mexico on this site
1f60e.png
I'm going to save it in case I have questions as well, it'll be cool to work together with everybody thanks for being a part of chicken talk.
i just want to say welcome to b.y.c.

Back
Top Bottom