New Mexico

Pics
Quote:
Fencing of some variety, high enough they can't fly over. My chiickens love greens and do their darnedest to get into the garden. I try to grow surplus for them in the summer and they love pumpkins and grass hay throughout the winter. I wish I lived where they could have pasture.

Not birds as in chickens, birds as in actual birds...they are so loud and live in trees DIRECTLY next to the garden area. I don't know what they are exactly but they are small chirpy grey and blackish. I was thinking row covers but where do I find those? All I have close is WalMart. Mostly I really want to try and do this as 'green' as possible. I strive to recycle/reuse as much as possible. I'm open to lots of suggestions!
wink.png

Oh, I thought you meant chickens, too...

You can buy floating row covers, netting, etc, from Gurneys (they send out gardening catalogs all the time, and I think the website is gurneys.com)

DAK- So I've just gone with the hatchery barred rocks, have been collecting some from here and some from there everytime I get into a feedstore LOL

Yesterday I came home with 7 of the little things.
smile.png
I love fuzzy chickies!!!

How is everything going for you?

Quote:
Hatching, hatching, hatching. Eggs I've been waiting on since last year finally arrived. Didn't think I would fill a cabinet incubator, but it turns out it's not so hard.
tongue.png

How's the new foal?

Hi all you New Mexicans! I'm having some health issues with one of my Buffs. I think she has some kind of impacted crop. I've taken her to a vet here in Taos and dropped $125 already. The next step is another xray and then surgery, if she can make it until Monday. My vet has admitted he is not a chicken vet and that his prognosis is just based on general knowledge and an xray. Does anybody know of ANY vets in the northern half of New Mexico who DO know about chickens?

Quote:
I'm in Los Lunas, keeping a tiny (two hens, 1 rooster) flock of New Hampshires (or New Hampshire Reds? Who the heck gets to determine how a breed is designated?) looking to aquire some more or hatch my own.
welcome-byc.gif

I am in Tijeras, and have 50 ish chickens... lets not count and then I dont have to admit what I have. I have my main coop which has buff orps, Rhode Islands, barred rocks, leghorns, and americanas. I also have a coop with lavender orpingtons, polish coop(s) and some black copper maran chicks...

Quote:
I'm in Los Lunas, keeping a tiny (two hens, 1 rooster) flock of New Hampshires (or New Hampshire Reds? Who the heck gets to determine how a breed is designated?) looking to aquire some more or hatch my own.
welcome-byc.gif

Hello there neighbor! Ive been getting my babies from a place called Quality Baits in the S. Valley. Lots of varities. I've bought from them twice. Where in LL are you? I live near McDonalds in Belen.

Quote:
I read somewhere to massage it and hold the bird upside down...? At least the massage part makes some sense.

Back
Top Bottom