New Mexico

Discussion in 'Where am I? Where are you!' started by babyhueyk, Oct 1, 2007.

1. Colie <3

Colie <3 Collecting my Cuties

Feb 3, 2011
    Fayetteville, NC
    Quote:I read somewhere to massage it and hold the bird upside down...? At least the massage part makes some sense.

I think the holding upside down part is probably not the best idea. My ameraucana Peepers had some crop problems I did lots of massage and olive oil and it went back down after almost a week.

2. jossanne

jossanne Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 11, 2008
    Gila, New Mexico
    Colie <3 :

Quote:I read somewhere to massage it and hold the bird upside down...? At least the massage part makes some sense.

I think the holding upside down part is probably not the best idea. My ameraucana Peepers had some crop problems I did lots of massage and olive oil and it went back down after almost a week.​

I did surgery on a leghorn pullet and cleaned her out. She was back to laying eggs after 3 days of recovery, and is now 3 years old and my favorite hen. If you want instructions, IM me.

3. luckyclucker

luckyclucker Out Of The Brooder

Jul 6, 2008
    nm
    Her crop is way down but she is still lethargic. She is pooping but kind of runny with yellowish tinge. I also discovered NFM while handling her and think that may be a big part of her problem (not to mention the rest of the flock). Right now she is hanging with 2 others (one being my roo) after a lengthy Adams bath. I couldn't believe how much my other hen and roo loved their baths. It was just unreal. They were both stretching out their wings and lying in the water as if they were meditating. My husband took photos. Still, they didn't appreciate the drying out and are spending the night in our boiler room (temp about 75) to dry out completely. It's off to the vet for Miss Fancy tomorrow for another xray. I don't think I'm ready for DIY surgery on my bird yet, but I can certainly see that day coming (after washing dirty butt after dirty butt, surgery seems quite pleasant). Thanks for the offer, I may take you up on your instructions some time, hopefully not too soon! The avian vet I called didn't seem to know ANYTHING about stuff like mites. How can you treat birds and never know about mites? She just advised buying whatever Walmart had in their pet section. Err.

4. cathunter10

cathunter10 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 24, 2010
    Piedmont, MO.
    Good morning New Mexico Pheasant chicks starting to hatch This morning Lots of eggs Ill make any Of you guys from this thread a good deal on eggs If I dont have to ship.$5.00 a doz on ringnecks.Ill have chicks avaible later this spring.
    Bill

5. WriterofWords

WriterofWords Has Fainting Chickens

Dec 25, 2007
    Chaparral, New Mexico
    How good of deal,,, I might be headed up that way soon for some other eggs.

6. cathunter10

cathunter10 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 24, 2010
    Piedmont, MO.
    Quote:Tell me What Breed and how many
    I have Alaskan Snow,Melinistic, and Ring necks The goldens are just now starting to lay.So I cant say how many I will have of them.I set on Fridays so I would need to know ahead of time when you are coming so that I will have the number of eggs on hand for you.I will sell you nothing that I would not set my self,
    Bill

7. blaundee

blaundee Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 3, 2009
    Quote:Hatching, hatching, hatching. Eggs I've been waiting on since last year finally arrived. Didn't think I would fill a cabinet incubator, but it turns out it's not so hard. [​IMG]

How's the new foal?

I love your incubator.... It might go missing someday... LOL [​IMG]

My new baby Dazzle is doing great, and she LOVES people, just like her mama Sparkle. [​IMG] I am in love with my little palomino! [​IMG] Thanks for asking!

I take it you haven't blown away yet? LOL I have some chicks that need to move outside soon, but it's too cold at night and WAY too windy- they will either freeze or blow away! LOL I hope it calms down soon, I need these guys out of the bathroom... LOL

8. blaundee

blaundee Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 3, 2009
    Colie <3 :

I think the holding upside down part is probably not the best idea. My ameraucana Peepers had some crop problems I did lots of massage and olive oil and it went back down after almost a week.​

I too did a lot of massage on my bird who had crop issues last summer, and she got better after a few weeks. [​IMG] She got to where she would chase me down when her crop needed a massage LOL [​IMG]

9. luckyclucker

luckyclucker Out Of The Brooder

Jul 6, 2008
    nm
    Now there is an untapped market- chicken masseuse at a chicken spa! After all of this, count me out. On the other hand, I did bathe 2 chickens last night (first time for them ever) and they LOVED it, so maybe I could work in that section of the chicken spa. My roo actually stopped acting like a jerkwad for half an hour and just floated around letting me shampoo and rinse him. He's back to his usual self this morning, meaning he just karate kicked me when I went out with some fruit scraps for the hens.

Last edited: Apr 11, 2011
  10. dak

dak geek dvm

Mar 21, 2010
    Quote:Hope you karate kicked him back! Sounds like you need to show him the freezer and explain what happens to naughty roos.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by