New Mexico

Discussion in 'Where am I? Where are you!' started by babyhueyk, Oct 1, 2007.

1. blaundee

blaundee Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 3, 2009
    Quote:LOL wish I had all the options you guys have! Alamagordo is less than 2 hours away from me but farmington is like 7 or 8! All the feed stores here only sell straight run they aren't allowed to sell chicks until they are 3 weeks old because of city ordinance. Same goes for myself even though I wouldn't sell them before three weeks anyhow.
    On another note has anyone ever done dna testing to sex their chicks? I got curious and sent off the eggshells of my first two chicks hatched by myself. One white silkie and one surprise white showgirl. Both boys... bummer [​IMG]

What did that cost and where did you send them?

I don't get too hung up on it. It doesn't take me as long to figure it out as before. I can usually tell with them Cochins at about three weeks. Ameraucanas are a little trickier.

Yeah, I want to know where you sent them and what it cost, too! Do tell!

While I of course prefer hens, I don't mind a lot of roosters as long as I have room... They are beautiful, and one seems to be just as loud as 100 to me (I grew up with about 70 roosters crowing next to my bedroom, so I rarely even HEAR a rooster crowing!!!)

2. Colie <3

Colie <3 Collecting my Cuties

Feb 3, 2011
    Fayetteville, NC
    Quote:LOL wish I had all the options you guys have! Alamagordo is less than 2 hours away from me but farmington is like 7 or 8! All the feed stores here only sell straight run they aren't allowed to sell chicks until they are 3 weeks old because of city ordinance. Same goes for myself even though I wouldn't sell them before three weeks anyhow.
    On another note has anyone ever done dna testing to sex their chicks? I got curious and sent off the eggshells of my first two chicks hatched by myself. One white silkie and one surprise white showgirl. Both boys... bummer [​IMG]

What did that cost and where did you send them?

I don't get too hung up on it. It doesn't take me as long to figure it out as before. I can usually tell with them Cochins at about three weeks. Ameraucanas are a little trickier.

It was $24.50 each eggshell. I only sent the two since it's too expensive to send more. I was hoping one would be a girl but nope not my luck! I'm considering keeping the white silkie he looks very promising but he's still tiny. The showgirl has to go though [​IMG] bummer
    http://www.avianbiotech.com/Pricing.htm

If I do it again I'm going to send blood samples to these guys
    http://www.vetdnacenter.com/avian-sexing.html

Silkies are a PIA to figure out sex on! I have some 3 month olds I still have no clue on and doesn't look like I'm gonna know anytime soon either lol

3. Colie <3

Feb 3, 2011
    Fayetteville, NC
    Quote:What did that cost and where did you send them?

Yeah, I want to know where you sent them and what it cost, too! Do tell!

While I of course prefer hens, I don't mind a lot of roosters as long as I have room... They are beautiful, and one seems to be just as loud as 100 to me (I grew up with about 70 roosters crowing next to my bedroom, so I rarely even HEAR a rooster crowing!!!)

Since my roo limit is 4 I have to be pickier so in some ways DNA testing I think might be ok for me. I'm trying to figure the cost of raising a silkie to 4-6 months old before knowing it's sex. If it's more than $17 dollars I dunno it might be saving me time and money to know earlier.

4. Colie <3

Feb 3, 2011
    Fayetteville, NC
    Oh and crowing doesn't bother me much either but carrying the crowing boys inside one by one at night time sucks! I also have a full grown black silkie male that has the worst crow EVER! He sounds like he's going to give himself a hernia when he crows because he pushes it out so hard lol Plan is to get some chicks from him and then sell him since his comb is large and pretty ugly IMO

Now if only I can convince my black girls to start laying again I got two eggs when they first got here and now they are on strike [​IMG]

5. blaundee

Aug 3, 2009
    Colie <3 :

Oh and crowing doesn't bother me much either but carrying the crowing boys inside one by one at night time sucks! I also have a full grown black silkie male that has the worst crow EVER! He sounds like he's going to give himself a hernia when he crows because he pushes it out so hard lol Plan is to get some chicks from him and then sell him since his comb is large and pretty ugly IMO

Now if only I can convince my black girls to start laying again I got two eggs when they first got here and now they are on strike [​IMG]

Sing to them? Maybe they will lay? LOL
    When you figure out the trick, let me know... [​IMG]

6. nmretire

nmretire New Egg

Apr 2, 2011
    Hi from Los Lunas too!

Still planning my coop....When your old it takes awhile...LOL

7. blaundee

Aug 3, 2009
    Quote:Oooh, Los Lunas.. I barrel race in Belen and Bosque Farms. (hmmm- did I already tel someone that? That's ringing a bell in my head... or it could just be this POUNDING HEADACHE I have had for the last TWO days... )

8. cathunter10

cathunter10 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 24, 2010
    Piedmont, MO.
    Colie <3 :

Good afternoon my lovely New Mexico peeps [​IMG] How is everyone today??
    I read on here that Alamogordo (I think) is supposed to get a TSC any idea on when that's going to happen and if it's a for sure thing? I miss TSC's and Southern States, I don't mind the small scale feed stores here but I miss the selection of a big chain!

It is a shure thing it is almost built It will be opening in the next 30 days.
    Bill​

9. blaundee

Aug 3, 2009
    Quote:It is a shure thing it is almost built It will be opening in the next 30 days.
    Bill

That would be an interesting place to work [​IMG]

10. Colie <3

Feb 3, 2011
    Fayetteville, NC
    Quote:It is a shure thing it is almost built It will be opening in the next 30 days.
    Bill

I liked your idea about doing a meet up/swap there bet they will have plenty of space and it seems like a good location. Gonna need some help planning it though Alamogordo is a ways away for me!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by