New Mexico

Pics
Quote:
Hope you karate kicked him back! Sounds like you need to show him the freezer and explain what happens to naughty roos.

My naughty roo was wonderful as chicken and dumplins... my sister was concerned that her son would be upset that we killed and then ate him... his response, "I want to go to Aunt Dawn's...I want to eat him too!" Gotta love a 5 year old!

Quote:
Hope you karate kicked him back! Sounds like you need to show him the freezer and explain what happens to naughty roos.

My naughty roo was wonderful as chicken and dumplins... my sister was concerned that her son would be upset that we killed and then ate him... his response, "I want to go to Aunt Dawn's...I want to eat him too!" Gotta love a 5 year old!

Yeah, my 4 y/o wants to know what all the parts are when my DH is gutting the culls. Blood thirsty little guy.
idunno.gif

Good afternoon my lovely New Mexico peeps
big_smile.png
How is everyone today??
I read on here that Alamogordo (I think) is supposed to get a TSC any idea on when that's going to happen and if it's a for sure thing? I miss TSC's and Southern States, I don't mind the small scale feed stores here but I miss the selection of a big chain!

Good afternoon to you too!
cool.png

I'm just waiting for 5... then I'll be headed home to play with my baby horsey and candle Mom's eggs... Cross your fingers for a good hatch for her!
smile.png

I haven't been in a TSC in over 8 years... but there's a Big R in Farmington, very similar to TSC but a little more NM style
smile.png

Quote:
Yea, but they have a better assortment of chicks at IFA in Farmington.
wink.png
I was in there last week and they had just gotten in bantam Cochins. I was able to resist only because I have some in the bator.
big_smile.png

Quote:
wink.png
I was in there last week and they had just gotten in bantam Cochins. I was able to resist only because I have some in the bator.
big_smile.png

I went chick hunting last Friday, called all the feedstores and the only 2 that had chicks right then were Big R and Circle... W (I always try to say "K" lol). The ones at Circle W were all straight run, so I got my lil storebought Rocks from Big R, and got to answer questions from a girl who had just bought her first chicks.
big_smile.png
I love talking chickens, she had no ides what she was asking for when she started talking to me! LOL I'm a quiet person until we start talking horses or chickens!!! LOL
lol.png

Quote:
wink.png
big_smile.png

I went chick hunting last Friday, called all the feedstores and the only 2 that had chicks right then were Big R and Circle... W (I always try to say "K" lol). The ones at Circle W were all straight run, so I got my lil storebought Rocks from Big R, and got to answer questions from a girl who had just bought her first chicks.
big_smile.png
I love talking chickens, she had no ides what she was asking for when she started talking to me! LOL I'm a quiet person until we start talking horses or chickens!!! LOL
lol.png

Hmmm, strange it was last Wed. I was in IFA and they had 6 troughs of chicks. Aztec feed also had chicks last week. They will be getting more each week. I'm getting a few gold sex-links early May from them.

Aztec & IFA said they were getting more in soon. Bloomfield just said "No chicks."

I needed my chick fix THAT day, not a few days later! LOL I had to go in for a load of grass hay for the stallions, so figured I'd get chickies too
smile.png

Quote:
LOL wish I had all the options you guys have! Alamagordo is less than 2 hours away from me but farmington is like 7 or 8! All the feed stores here only sell straight run they aren't allowed to sell chicks until they are 3 weeks old because of city ordinance. Same goes for myself even though I wouldn't sell them before three weeks anyhow.
On another note has anyone ever done dna testing to sex their chicks? I got curious and sent off the eggshells of my first two chicks hatched by myself. One white silkie and one surprise white showgirl. Both boys... bummer
hmm.png

Colie <3 :

Quote:
LOL wish I had all the options you guys have! Alamagordo is less than 2 hours away from me but farmington is like 7 or 8! All the feed stores here only sell straight run they aren't allowed to sell chicks until they are 3 weeks old because of city ordinance. Same goes for myself even though I wouldn't sell them before three weeks anyhow.
On another note has anyone ever done dna testing to sex their chicks? I got curious and sent off the eggshells of my first two chicks hatched by myself. One white silkie and one surprise white showgirl. Both boys... bummer
hmm.png

What did that cost and where did you send them?

I don't get too hung up on it. It doesn't take me as long to figure it out as before. I can usually tell with them Cochins at about three weeks. Ameraucanas are a little trickier.​

Back
Top Bottom