New pans for Christmas... can't seem to get anything to cook right ~ UGH

ambrosia

Songster
8 Years
Oct 21, 2011
A little advice please!! Got new (expensive) stainless steel pots and pans for Christmas, and the pots are working great ~ cooking evenly, and in a timely manner. However, I also got four fry pans with the set AND I cannot seem to keep anything from sticking to them!!! GRRRRR
he.gif
Okay, well grilled cheese sandwiches are working out, but fried eggs? no. Fried potatoes? no I have tried butter, olive oil, and veggie oil. The instructions say absolutely no cooking spray so I am stumped! I don't want to ruin these beautiful pans. Not to mention DH thinks he is a failure for spending $300 on crap... help!!!!

i had the same problem with my $150 stainless steel frying pan. i tried to season it like a cast iron one that did not work.
when i first got mine i did not want to use it as it was so shiny, then i thought hang on this is a for using not looking at so now it gets the same as my other pans.
don't have the oil too hot add your food then turn the heat up.

A little advice please!! Got new (expensive) stainless steel pots and pans for Christmas, and the pots are working great ~ cooking evenly, and in a timely manner. However, I also got four fry pans with the set AND I cannot seem to keep anything from sticking to them!!! GRRRRR
he.gif
Okay, well grilled cheese sandwiches are working out, but fried eggs? no. Fried potatoes? no I have tried butter, olive oil, and veggie oil. The instructions say absolutely no cooking spray so I am stumped! I don't want to ruin these beautiful pans. Not to mention DH thinks he is a failure for spending $300 on crap... help!!!!

I'm jealous! Wish I had that problem. Most of my pots and pans came from Goodwill, The Salvation Army or WalMart.
gig.gif

OldGuy.... if you lived closer I would just give you my Tfals
smile.png

I tried making eggs for DH an hour ago, and nope, still being crappy... so I may break out the cooking spray and hope for the best...

please do not use cooking spray....it takes the coating away from stainless steel pans. I have one stainless steel skillet from walmart and one very expensive one from Bed, Bath and Beyond....I prefer the Walmart brand. lol Only because the handle stays cool. I treat them both the same and they both get very shiny..inside and the outside bottom ...as I hang my pans, with Bar Keeper's friend. Do not heat the pan to a high temp. before trying to fry and once something is in the pan, so not move it till it is ready to move. When the meat or whatever is done it will move freely. If you move it to soon then you have a mess on your hands. I absolutely love the stainless steel and would never go back to non-stick. My personal opinion
roll.png

There is a definite learning curve but well worth the effort. Good advice already given. If you use butter, use it room temp on lower heat otherwise some will brown before the other melts or you can use it half and half with olive oil. I turn the heat lower than I do for my other pans. Coat it well with the oil before adding food. I was using more oil than I wanted for fried eggs so I now use minimal oil, add egg, add a couple tablespoons of water, cover with a lid and they turn out fine. At least if something sticks you can clean them; it is easier if you add a little water first. I liked my small skillet so much my DH gave me a larger one for Christmas.

There is a definite learning curve but well worth the effort. Good advice already given. If you use butter, use it room temp on lower heat otherwise some will brown before the other melts or you can use it half and half with olive oil. I turn the heat lower than I do for my other pans. Coat it well with the oil before adding food. I was using more oil than I wanted for fried eggs so I now use minimal oil, add egg, add a couple tablespoons of water, cover with a lid and they turn out fine. At least if something sticks you can clean them; it is easier if you add a little water first. I liked my small skillet so much my DH gave me a larger one for Christmas.

Good advice, also do not and I repeat, do not put your pan into the sink of water until it has completely cooled!! Now I know how I warped all my cookie sheets!
roll.png

Back
Top Bottom