New Peafowl owner with ?s (Updated Pics on Growth Changes)

BooBear

Chicken Cuddler
9 Years
Oct 7, 2010
Conroe, Texas
Do Peafowl dust bathe the same as chickens?
What is a good book on Peafowl to add to my library for reference?
Do they like fruit such as blueberries n watermelon?

I just got a couple of peachicks that are around 2 to 3 weeks old. 1 is a black shoulder and 1 is a pied. The pied is more curious whereas the blackshoulder one is the shyest. Got them on chick start for game birds right now.

How long do you feed them the chick start for game birds?
When do they need to be switched to adult feed?
And, can they eat flock raiser for the adult feed or do I need to keep them on a game bird feed?

Last edited:
Do Peafowl dust bathe the same as chickens
Yes they do

What is a good book on Peafowl to add to my library for reference?
I use the internet

Do they like fruit such as blueberries n watermelon?
yes they do and the sooner you get therm eating such things the easer it will be to get them to accept it when they are older

I just got a couple of peachicks that are around 2 to 3 weeks old. 1 is a black shoulder and 1 is a pied. The pied is more curious whereas the blackshoulder one is the shyest. Got them on chick start for game birds right now.

Some of mine are more cautious than others but they will all eat out of my hand, took a few months after i turned them loose before that happens but all it took was one to see it and then theyall started coming for a treat by hand, now they grab the treat bag if i do not hurry up. LOL
what you are feeding now is great , mine ate flock raiser for a while but they rarely do now, they are totally free ranged and i give the all kinds of vegetables for the garden year round pluse i feed the fruit-n nut bird feed by Pennington(get this at walmart 18 percent protein)

How long do you feed them the chick start for game birds?
When do they need to be switched to adult feed?
they eat flock raiser for the adult feed or do I need to keep them on a game bird feed?

Switching them over and when i do not know as i said i free range mine so they eat what they want.
I guess feeding requirements will depend on how they are kept really.

PS I could use a photo fix this morning for all the info i posted. JK

I would love to watch them grow up on here, almost as good as being there. LOL gota love the internet and this site...

Here is the black shoulder peachick...yep he refuses to let me get a good pic of him. The other pics are so blurry he just looks like a shadow.
I am not good at loading so will get the other loaded in a bit.

The feed they have is dumor chick start for all poultry with a 24% protein in it. Is this OK?

The babies are doing good and have settled into their new home. Their wings are out growing them. Hopefully they will catch up. They yellow chick likes to steal food out of Skyflowers beak. Skyflower is younger but really sweet to the yellow chick.
I want to call the yellow one Daisy, but, what if it turns out to be a boy?

That feed is fine i have used it.
Pretty babies you have thanks for sharing the pretty pictures.
peas love scrambled eggs it may take them a bit to try them but once they will hunt you down for them LOL at least mine do

Back
Top Bottom