New Pekin momma

Mrwaddles

Hatching
Apr 26, 2021
Hi- This past Friday i bought my 1st Pekin Duckling- its only a few days old and has become very attached to me already! I do work 8 hours a day but i have him in a large plastic tub with half of it with a puppy pad down and the other half with Pine shavings. i have a mirror in there and a big stuffed animal that he seems to love. I also have his food and water in there with him. He will be an inside pet As i don't have the room to get another one I'm looking for any tips to keep my baby happy! Also at what age is it safe to put a diaper on him when i am not home or i take him out in public. Thanks for any tips or advice

I would highly advise against keeping a solitary duck. Its quite cruel, in my opinion. No matter how much time you spend with them, since they are flock animals.

Ducks are not house pets. While they are still a duckling, brooding them in the house is fine- but a full grown duck living in the house? No. They are supposed to live outdoors. And please, please do not put a diaper on your duck...

If you do not have room for another one, I would suggest you rehome your duck.
i agree with this all, except diapers are perfectly fine if they are only used for a little bit at a time and your duck is comfortable with it.

my ducks use diapers and are perfectly happy and healthy, but they also spend their days outside and have each other for company :)

Is there a certain kind that you have had better luck with? I will not keep a diaper on him all the time or for long periods of time just when I have him out in public.
No, I've never personally used one. I would refrain from taking a duck out into public, as they can get stressed easily. Maybe a stroll through a park, but I don't see why a diaper would be needed then.

so many things wrong here.

Ducks shouldnt be kept as solitary animals. So you need a second duck, which means you need more room to keep them in.

There's no reason to take a duck into public. They're not dogs, they're prey animals at their core and are very easily spooked by literally everything.

Ducks poop literally hundreds of times in a day, you said you only plan to diaper it when it's "in public" but you also plan to keep it indoors....it will destroy your house. Unless you're keeping it penned inside your house in which case....why? A big enough 24/7 pen for two ducks is taking up basically an entire room of your house. You're working 8 hours a day, they deserve to be in an adequately sized and safe pen outside.

Overall it doesnt sound like ducks are your best choice. A dog, a cat, even a different bird would be a more suitable option

I would highly advise against keeping a solitary duck. Its quite cruel, in my opinion. No matter how much time you spend with them, since they are flock animals.

Ducks are not house pets. While they are still a duckling, brooding them in the house is fine- but a full grown duck living in the house? No. They are supposed to live outdoors. And please, please do not put a diaper on your duck...

If you do not have room for another one, I would suggest you rehome your duck.

Back
Top Bottom