new pigeon on my hands

yeah really had nothing to do with pigeons until he walked in. i think he's just beautiful. ;-)
For a bird they are fairly intelligent and make good pets. I answered a post last week from a guy who's dove (very closely related to pigeons) considered him her mate. Enjoy your new pet.

i have let him outside for a fly around and he's just come back. i think he thinks i am his mate. he's not inside yet but he's making his way in. i think that's the best out come for him to spend his days flying around and if he wants to he can come in for the night. it's such a beautiful summers day here in New Zealand so i am pleased he's out spreading his wings. i must say it is a rather incredible experience. He is taking his time coming in, but the sun is still out so i guess it's early, so i will forgive him

i just sat down with him and cuddled him for about ten minutes, he just sat there in my hands looking at me while i was talking to him i then put him in front of me, he was so relaxed that he sat there for ages just taking everything i said in. is that normal with a pigeon or is he bonding with me? i know i rave about him i am a little over whelmed as it's only been 5 days since he walked through my door. i know nothing about pigeons at all. they aren't that common where i live infact he's the only one i have ever seen

i just sat down with him and cuddled him for about ten minutes, he just sat there in my hands looking at me while i was talking to him i then put him in front of me, he was so relaxed that he sat there for ages just taking everything i said in. is that normal with a pigeon or is he bonding with me? i know i rave about him i am a little over whelmed as it's only been 5 days since he walked through my door. i know nothing about pigeons at all. they aren't that common where i live infact he's the only one i have ever seen
Yes. It is normal behavior for a tame pigeon. Being more intelligent than other species also means that they adapt faster. It does not take long for them to realize that you are not going to hurt them and they have a good thing going. I rave about my birds whenever I get the chance, so rave away. Just stay aware that he might leave at any time and head for home. Do you have hawks there as hawk-like birds would be the biggest predator of pigeons when they are free flying?

yes we do have hawks here, do you suggest to maybe keep him inside?
Homers are very fast fliers, but some hawks can fly faster. I posted about hawks so you would know there was a danger in letting your homer fly free. You have to decide on whether or not to allow the free flight. That danger includes him just walking on the ground. I've lost more than a few birds to hawks in the air and on the ground.

yes we do have hawks here, do you suggest to maybe keep him inside?

In a perfect world homers can out fly almost any predator (at least mine can) with the exception of the peregrine falcon is their worst enemy. The can still fall prey to a surprise attack and if their a young bird it some times takes awhile for them to identify all their enemies. My young birds worst enemy are cars when they first start flying. If you free fly any bird you always run the danger of loss. I free fly all my homers that is what they were bred to do fly. I may loose 2 or 3 birds a year (who knows what cause in most cases.)

Last edited:
I'd agree with hocum coco (is a fount of practical pigeon keeping, just he has had pred probs), as pigeons ment to fly, and are much healthier n happier for, from my test experiments/experiences. They also need to be kept better in even numbers/pairs (sex doesn't matter).

Last edited:
When I had pigeons (hope to have them again soon) I let them fly and exercise. But I know if I had one that was a pet and I was attached to it-it would not fly free. A single pigeon can be kept as a pet provided it is given attention. Pigeons need room to fly and exercise; it does not have to be free flight.

Back
Top Bottom