New plan! (LOTS O PICS, adding them as I go)

The hardware cloth arrived!
big_smile.png
That is all.
smile.png

I got slightly inspired today and just came in from a cursory rake of under the deck. At 26, it was too cold to stay too long (I think I was out for 10 mins), but I got most of the thick leaf mat raked up into a pile not under the deck, lol. I was surprised to find a piece of OSB under there where the rabbit hutch had been! I stood it up for now, I'll figure out something else to do with it, I have read too many things about bunnies contaominating chickens. I also found a rabbit load of poo, hidden under a very thick layer of what still looks like fresh hay! Also found kitty litter mixed in with it too... We moved in nearly 4 years ago (will be 4 years this coming August)!

I think I may need to find someone to deliver me a few sq yards of top soil...hopefully I can find it for (dirt) cheap, lol. The ground is also not as level as I had thought it was once I got the yuck up. Some idiot (previous owner) put river rocks all over the place, even under the deck! We hate the stuff and would much rather have bark chips than all the rocks, they never stay where you put them and have damaged at least 3 lawn mowers that I know of! Anyway, I guess that's one more thing to put on CL...free river rock, you clean it up and haul!
wink.png
Though I may just shovel them up and toss them in the empty hole left from the silly water feature that was here when we moved in...I yanked that out after a little bird drowned in it. I think it thought it was a nice shallow bird bath and then couldn't get out.
sad.png

The weather should be warmer in the next day or two...of course, I'll miss the really nice weather this weekend as I'll be in Central OR visiting family. Hopefully, I'll be able to get the runners and piers up before I have to leave that way I can start building as soon as I get home. I'd really like to have this project done or nearly done by the time the girls get here (43 days from today)! If not, I realize I have several weeks before they "need" it...but I want to spend my time with them, not worrying about their housing!

Speaking of topsoil...how many yards could I fit into the bed of my little Nissan pickup? I'm guessing not very many, lol. But, I really just need it to level out the underside of the deck and help cover any remaining rabbit traces...

Well, while the weather is still cold and I still have no finger prints (due to an unfortunate incident involving gorilla glue & a paper towel), I'll be reading my Raising Chickens for Dummies book (I'm around page 190 now) and doing extra research on the breeds I'm getting. I know a little about the BR, but the SLWs are a totally new thing for me! They are such pretty birds though...

pop.gif
I just had to subscribe to this thread. It's like a mini blog. Please keep posting up pics and keep us informed of your progress.
caf.gif

I've actually learned some stuff from you.... I had no idea that home depot had a cull bin!!
ep.gif
Guess where I'm headed tomorrow? That's right!! lol HOME DEPOT... here I come!

Quote:
I'm always happy to pass on info! I actually didn't know about it until the mother of a friend I had in high school mentioned it on my facebook page, she works for one in Oregon! They also have these rounded off pole-like things that all their lumber comes on called "wood stickers", the HD she works at throws them away, or gives them to employees to do whatever with (she burns them as firewood)...my local HD sells them for $0.51, lol. I found it is really helpful to go in at the same time every evening or two and mke friends with the guy that works back there most often. I found out on Saturday that my local store will be selling 10-packs of 2x2 culls (half lengths) for $4! That's only $0.40 per piece! As long as under 4' is a good length for you, they work great! I'll be getting a stack, hopefully tommorow, so that I can use them to build my side project cat tree.

I may move my ramblings to an actual blog...but for now, this helps keep me focused on what needs to get done "next". I'm glad there are other people reading it!

No worries...if I move it to a blog, it won't be for a while...I'm a career procrastinator! LOL
wink.png
Besides, I'm terrible at blogging, it's like writing in a diary that everyone can see! (And my childhood diaries have 1 or 2 enteries before I just gave up and left them sitting.
wink.png

Quote:
Well I think I scored pretty good today!! I got 3 nice sized pieces of peg board for $1.01 each. They were 4' X 4', 3' X 6', and 2.5' X 8'. So total cost was like $3.33 and I also got 4 of the "wood stickers" for FREE!!
wee.gif

When I got home, my hubby said "where'd you get that crap and what's it for?" I said "I got it for the chicken coop and it only cost me $3. I learned from my chicken buddies (chicken crazies is what he calls us) that Home Depot sells stuff like this for a hugh discount." He just rolled his eyes and unloaded the truck.
smack.gif

We still need to build the nest boxesand a roost, so I figured it will be great for in between the boxes so the ladies can still see each other. I only get over to that side of town on Wednesday mornings. It's like 30 miles from here. Too far to make the trip every day. But I'll be stopping in to see what they got for me when ever I can.
thumbsup.gif

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom