New pool for the ducks

Tomatotux

In the Brooder
Sep 10, 2021
I'm looking at redoing the duck pool (I currently have 4 cayugas and 1 white layer hybrid as well as 4 neighborhood ducks that play and visit) because the liner I used has been shredded and is leaking. I'm looking at building the frame out of OSB and sealing it with a fiberglass DIY kit. My question is does anyone have any experience with this? As of now the pool I want to build is going to be 4ft x 11ft with a shallow end at 1 foot and a slope down to 2 ft so they can dive and swim some (the hybrid is lame in both feet, best guess she had a bad niacin deficiency when she was little) and a small architectural waterfall. Thanks for your input everyone!

Sounds like the size would be great. I've only had ducks since end of July & already I can see I need a bigger pool, this 59"x 12" deep round pool is not going to cut it.

Sorry I can't answer your question but kinda bumping this up so others can see it that might have missed it the 1st time.

Just architecturally speaking - you realize that's about a thousand gallons - and in turn that equates to roughly 10,000lbs of pressure on your wood. No OSB is going to take that.
I don't want to discourage you because honestly that size would be amazing to offer some duckies...but wood is impractical.

Also consider how you will drain that and refill it every couple of days. It will go rancid inside of a week so that could potentially be a problem, too.

If you are on a well system you may want to consider getting a feed/water trough 3'x8'x2'tall - close to 400 gallons and a stock tank will be designed to hold the weight. You'll just need to make sure you purchase one with a bung so you can drain it easily - or be prepared to pop a sump pump in there every few days to drain it.

GOOD LUCK!

I'm looking at redoing the duck pool (I currently have 4 cayugas and 1 white layer hybrid as well as 4 neighborhood ducks that play and visit) because the liner I used has been shredded and is leaking. I'm looking at building the frame out of OSB and sealing it with a fiberglass DIY kit. My question is does anyone have any experience with this? As of now the pool I want to build is going to be 4ft x 11ft with a shallow end at 1 foot and a slope down to 2 ft so they can dive and swim some (the hybrid is lame in both feet, best guess she had a bad niacin deficiency when she was little) and a small architectural waterfall. Thanks for your input everyone!
@DuckyDonna

My husband built a 4' x 8' pool starting with a sheet of plywood with 2" x 12" for the sides. Then he fiberglassed the whole thing. We used to have a boat and he was used to fiberglassing so for him it was like building an inside-out boat. It's working great so far. Just FYI, when you put the drain in recess it so it will drain all the water out. We overlooked that and made it level with the bottom.

Back
Top Bottom