New predator... It's on Jack!

Deedee

Songster
10 Years
Mar 30, 2009
Kilgore, TX
Couple of weeks ago had a bobcat hanging around but this morning, I was up early couldn't sleep for other reasons. so walked out to the back porch, as soon as I opened the back door I heard the most awful terror coming from the coop. So barefooted and half asleep and 4am I took off out there and about 15ft away saw the biggest coon running from the coop and my PR roo trying to get over the fence to go after it. By the time I got out there, stopping by my DH truck to get his flash light, I had 2 girl dead, my PR roo's favorite barred rock and my black broiler which was my fav. I'm furious, I saw where the coon, pulled back the chicken wire from the top of the run and the from the window of their coop. The most furiating part is that it didn't hardly eat any of either one of them, it just killed them. Do anyone know why? For the past 2 weeks we've had 2 humane traps out trying to catch whatever else is trying to come up, but I'm done playing nice. I've have raised my flock for over 4 years and have lost 6 birds in the last month. plus I've got a turkey poult that needs to go put in about 2 more weeks but now scared to put it out until I get control of the problem.

Sorry to vent but i know we all care for our birds and sometime enough is enough!
barnie.gif

I hate to say this because I don't want it to be misconstrued as rude or lacking compassion, but when using chicken wire stuff like this is just bound to happen. Replace your chicken wire with hardware cloth. Those coons are much stronger than they look. Hardware cloth is worth the expense IMO.

I hate to say this because I don't want it to be misconstrued as rude or lacking compassion, but when using chicken wire stuff like this is just bound to happen. Replace your chicken wire with hardware cloth. Those coons are much stronger than they look. Hardware cloth is worth the expense IMO.
Forgot to mention in my post i also have electric fencing, and I know chicken wire is worst a thing. Did a lot of work to to run and coop yesterday, and I hope it helps.

Oh no! I'm so sorry for your loss. :-(

Coons around here, I've noticed, don't really "eat" the chickens they kill. We have a guy here in town that has raised chickens for over 50 years and he told me flat-out coons were the WORST of the worst, because it seems like they just enjoy the challenge of getting in and the chase of killing something, then they flee the scene. I've been told about, and seen, coops that were attacked by coons - they'll pull staples out of anything. Hardware cloth, poultry fencing, you name it. Don't mean to be rude, but I'd bait the s.o.b. with one of your birds in a humane cage and sit out with a .22 and wait for him to come around. Then, you could make your remaining girls a nice coon-tail decoration. I love wildlife, don't get me wrong - but we've got bobcat, coon, coyote, fox, hawk, owl, and all kinds of critters out here and after raising my first flock to 8 weeks now, I'd be mad "as a wet hen" and eager for vengeance on anything attacking my birds...I can't imagine 4 years of work and then having to deal with that.

I'm fuming FOR you!
somad.gif

Sorry for your loss. Replace the chicken wire with hardware cloth. Put the hardware cloth inside the window/holes and staple than put a small piece of wood( maybe 1"x 2") over edges. This makes it very secure. I'll take a picture of this and post if you're interested. Good luck.

Raccoons are nasty. And so are my neighbors dogs.

We have a pellet gun and a 22 that has changed their minds about poaching on our property for dinner. Not had to use the 22 yet, seems the pellet gun gives them enough of a scare.

Years ago we lost 2 bunnies to a raccoon with a hutch that used chicken wire. The extension guy told us to never use it and after what it did to our bunnies (very ugly), we haven't used anything but the hardware cloth.

Here's hoping you get those nasty raccoons and let you and your chickens sleep in peace.

How did it get past the electric fence? do yo have it at ground level 8" and again at 18" and the top? Kill it and keep it to yourself, no one has to know

Back
Top Bottom