New project coop

My biggest concern is they'd be inside 24/7, and since this isn't your barn you're limited in how many alterations you can make (like 1-2 full walls open with wire mesh would essentially make it a covered run/coop combo, so that would work fine as it would allow in enough natural light and air to mimic being outside).

My biggest concern is they'd be inside 24/7, and since this isn't your barn you're limited in how many alterations you can make (like 1-2 full walls open with wire mesh would essentially make it a covered run/coop combo, so that would work fine as it would allow in enough natural light and air to mimic being outside).
I didn't want to exactly say "it isn't your barn"...thought maybe others would have a work-around beyond what I suggested.

I feel for them though and wanted them to be able to enjoy raising chickens...but if the property owners aren't going to cooperate, there's not much she can do.

In my opinion you shouldn't get them if their needs aren't going to be met. Could you stay inside your room 24/7 and only get the fresh air or sunshine your window allows? I'm not bashing you, I'm just saying if they won't give you the leeway to make it a healthy, happy coop, then maybe it's just not a good idea

I hope your neighbor can cut you some slack. They won't get many eggs if the girls aren't happy.
Perhaps someone with more experience on this site can give you good ideas to get your neighbor to be more creative...for the good of the girls, dontcha know ;)
Yeah they are very happy with what I have done so far. If I cut opening in the roof what about water getting in? Do you think if I replace some of the tin on top with the clear kind that would work for some more light? I'm worried about tree limbs falling tho too.

Back
Top Bottom