New Pullets socially distancing - Should I be Concerned?

@rosemarythyme
During the day I prop that door open to let it breathe and clean it out so it doesn’t get saturated in an ammonia smell and I clean it out daily by working it over.
Should I install a window? Typically I close the chicken house door but it’s left slightly ajar to allow for some breathability. They all pile in there at night regularly as the sun sets. I’m just concerned about them coming across pathogens laying in the bedding where they poop.
So, the simple answer would be to cut a box out in the housing and install wire over it?
What would I do in the winters when it gets cold though and to avoid drafts overnight?

So I personally do not count doors as ventilation, reason being, they're usually closed up at night, which is exactly when the chickens are all inside the coop. That means ammonia and moisture build up over the course of the night.

Recommended minimum ventilation is 1 sq ft per bird/10% of floor space, whichever is greater.

Windows add both air flow and light, which is why I like them compared to some other ventilation options.

As far as winter, how cold does it get where you're at? Cold isn't usually an issue, unless you're talking arctic level deep freeze. Drafts are something you want to avoid, so there's various ways of avoiding those:
- minimize vents facing into predominant winds
- place majority of vents well up above roosts
- have buffers (awning, louvered covers, top hinged windows) over or partially covering vents to buffer air flow

This evening, I placed them on the roost bar and they sat there for awhile but they would hop down after 5 minutes. They just seem content to congregate in the corner of the house. They appeared to be stressed when I rounded them up to seat them on the roost bar but I am hoping this will condition them to roost.

You can let them figure it out on their own as they grow up. I want mine to roost so I actively encourage it by putting them on the bars once it's dark/very close to dark.

You can let them figure it out on their own as they grow up. I want mine to roost so I actively encourage it by putting them on the bars once it's dark/very close to dark.
@rosemarythyme
Okay. I will keep trying because I am concerned about them being susceptible to pathogens on the ground. Thank you so much for the thoughtful feedback and your time. I will keep at it for the chickens!

So I personally do not count doors as ventilation, reason being, they're usually closed up at night, which is exactly when the chickens are all inside the coop. That means ammonia and moisture build up over the course of the night.

Recommended minimum ventilation is 1 sq ft per bird/10% of floor space, whichever is greater.

Windows add both air flow and light, which is why I like them compared to some other ventilation options.

As far as winter, how cold does it get where you're at? Cold isn't usually an issue, unless you're talking arctic level deep freeze. Drafts are something you want to avoid, so there's various ways of avoiding those:
- minimize vents facing into predominant winds
- place majority of vents well up above roosts
- have buffers (awning, louvered covers, top hinged windows) over or partially covering vents to buffer air flow
@rosemarythyme
We live in the Pacific Northwest region so it can get pretty cold in the fall and winter. I will explore what ways I could possibly vent while maintaining a comfortable cabin temp for the birds with our climate zone. Thank you again for the thoughtful feedback and recommendations made in your post. I really appreciate it.

We live in the Pacific Northwest region so it can get pretty cold in the fall and winter. I will explore what ways I could possibly vent while maintaining a comfortable cabin temp for the birds with our climate zone.

I'm in Pac NW as well (you can update your profile to show general location, helps when dealing with questions like this). Really doesn't get cold enough to worry about the cold much. The only time I've ever closed any of my windows was during the big snowstorm the winter prior - but I still had 3 of 5 windows open, as well as gable, floor and undereave vents all unobstructed.

I'm in the pacific NW too, and here is my coop. It's very open, and I don't have issues with my birds being cold. You really won't have to worry about that here. Add ventilation, and your birds will be happy.
20190805_203048.jpg

I'm in the pacific NW too, and here is my coop. It's very open, and I don't have issues with my birds being cold. You really won't have to worry about that here. Add ventilation, and your birds will be happy. View attachment 2131705
@honanbm
That is a really nice chicken coop. Thank you for the recommendation. I will keep you all posted! :)

Here’s a photo of the progress being made so far..
I am planning to place some chicken wire squares behind the three open vents for predator deterrence. What do you all think of the passive air ventilation set up so far? I am thinking this should work and keep the chickens happy?

Attachments

• D202991D-5A4B-488B-B4B3-CF0E9D80CDE4.jpeg
    D202991D-5A4B-488B-B4B3-CF0E9D80CDE4.jpeg
    902 KB · Views: 4

Back
Top Bottom