New pullets won't use roost, sleep in nesting box

colospgs

Chirping
Aug 20, 2022
Colorado Springs, CO
Last month I introduced two 16 weeks old B Orpingtons into a coop that already had one Green Queen and one Easter Egger. They have all since gotten used to each other. The two BOs do not use the roost at night, but either sleep on the poop tray or in a nesting box. I've read many threads on this but none about new pullets in a coop with oldies. I wouldn't mind so much but the combination of an egg in the box and a sleeping hen in the same box is...undesirable, as you can imagine. On these types of threads, pictures are requested so I attached a few. A few notes on the modifications I did to the Tractor Supply coop: I added extra roosting area up top by attaching another 2X2 perpendicular to make an "L" shape. I made the bottom run area into a "lower level" of the coop by adding fabric to make it more of an enclosure, then added an extra roost down there hoping the BOs would use it (they don't, except a little during the day). Added a run to the whole thing.

I need those BOs to stop using the nesting boxes at night but would like to have my EE to have access to them. You can see in the one picture where they all sleep at night. Ideas?

Attachments

• IMG_1851.JPG
    IMG_1851.JPG
    516.8 KB · Views: 38
  • IMG_1854.JPG
    IMG_1854.JPG
    948.3 KB · Views: 20
  • IMG_1856.JPG
    IMG_1856.JPG
    1.1 MB · Views: 19
  • IMG_1852.JPG
    IMG_1852.JPG
    739.8 KB · Views: 21
I did try blocking them off at night, but 2-3 times a week my layer lays at night (my night, not hers) so that's less than ideal, but doable. The BOs are afraid of me and run when approached. I could try to pick them up and place them on the roost, but I just figured they would freak out if I tried that.

Ah! I didn't take into consideration that the BOs wouldn't let you near them 😬. Treats, maybe? Like, once the BOs are in the coop, ready to roost, they might be more amenable to you gently placing them on the roost while they get a few mealworms (and a couple for the bigger gals too!).... I'm new to all of this myself, so I'm only going by what I've read in books and other threads here. Wish I could be more helpful. I definitely wouldn't want anyone roosting in the nestboxes.

You likely don't have enough roost space, even if it's 4 linear ft of roost total, because where the 2 roosts intersect, really only 1 bird can fit. So the older ones may be bullying the younger ones off the roost.

Have you considered converting the entire coop/mini run into a larger coop for more space?

To turn it from 2 small "boxes" (tiny coop above tiny run) into 1 bigger "box" you'll want to remove as much of the inside coop wall as possible, plus the floor. Take out the old roosts too.

Nests might be able to stay as is, or may need to be relocated elsewhere or replaced - depends on the structure of the coop and how things inside stack up once done.

Run a new roost(s) lengthwise or widthwise across the newly open space, depending on how much roost is needed. Ideally you’d like 12” per bird but 10” can suffice in many cases.

Board up some of the external wire walls so that the roost area is protected from winds and rain. Do NOT fully cover up all the wire, you need ventilation and natural light, so at the very least a few inches under the roofline should remain open. If your climate allows for it, you can leave entire walls open with just the mesh, or make it convertible for the season by covering up open walls for winter, and then uncovering for summer.

Example of a modified prefab: https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/my-renovated-prefab-coop.1440258/

Interesting, I'll have to think about something like that. Another thought occurred to me. Do I need to shut the sliding door at the top of the ramp at night? I do not do that now, and that is the area of the roost no one likes to get up on. They all like to huddle at night as far away from that opening as they can.

If I do that then they can't get out into the run before sunrise which is way earlier than I get up. They'd be stuck in there for a few hours after they awake which would make them mad.

I think this was suggested, but a pic of how I added another roosting bar in the outside area. I'll probably lower it. My thinking was either it needs to be high enough to not block the ramp, or nearly resting on the ramp so they can step over it. Mine don't sleep on it, probably because its still an open area. I just put it there for them to have another place to hang out.

PXL_20220606_231830963.jpg

The bar on the inside I think should also be lowered a bit. With the ceiling height, I don't think its very comfortable for them to hop up on it without hitting their heads on the roof. Doing that might help encouraging its use. I'm just guessing though, haven't done it yet. My plan is to lower it basically as low as I can. So they can step over it to get to the nesting boxes, or roost on it at least keeping them an inch or few above the poop tray and straw.

Random tip on those coops: I'm really happy with mine but there are a few nags. The nesting box dividers in particular, my chickens have basically beat up the dividers to the point that the wood pieces that make the "Slots" they slide in to, have come loose. Maybe consider taking the nesting box floor out and adding some more nails/brads/staples to those. Not a huge deal, but a recent thing that happened to me.

It looks like you have the same coop I have. Here's mine with the extra run attached. There's no ventilation though unless you keep a door open. Although since I have added some wooden spacers where the roof attaches to the sides.

Attachments

• IMG_1614.JPG
    IMG_1614.JPG
    1 MB · Views: 24
Interesting, I'll have to think about something like that. Another thought occurred to me. Do I need to shut the sliding door at the top of the ramp at night? I do not do that now, and that is the area of the roost no one likes to get up on. They all like to huddle at night as far away from that opening as they can.
Closing the pop door is for extra protection from predators - if you feel your run is safe enough against the types of predators in your area (i.e. at a glance your run extension is vulnerable to snakes, rats, raccoons, and anything bigger such as large dogs and cats) then you can leave the pop door open around the clock.

I'm wondering if they're huddling away from the pop door at this time due to either drafts, or because they feel too exposed in the opening.

Back
Top Bottom