New Pullets!

nikiluchau

Hatching
Jul 14, 2021
Hi BYC! I just got my first set of pullets yesterday and was wondering a couple of things. They were already laying eggs where we bought them, but they haven't layed an egg yet here. How much time does it take for pullets to restart laying eggs once they are re-homed? is it normal for them to stop laying eggs for a couple of days?

I would also love to know if any of you all have any ideas on what breed they are. They are around 6-9 months old.
CEFFA755-274A-45FF-A05B-825956788922.jpeg
Screen Shot 2021-07-14 at 11.19.26 PM.png

Hi BYC! I just got my first set of pullets yesterday and was wondering a couple of things. They were already laying eggs where we bought them, but they haven't layed an egg yet here. How much time does it take for pullets to restart laying eggs once they are re-homed? is it normal for them to stop laying eggs for a couple of days?

I would also love to know if any of you all have any ideas on what breed they are. They are around 6-9 months old.View attachment 2760408View attachment 2760412
They are some sort of high production breed. They look to be quite rough....during their first molt, feed a 20% or slightly higher protein. They should resume laying in a few days. Its totally normal for them to stop laying for a while.

I would also love to know if any of you all have any ideas on what breed they are. They are around 6-9 months old.View attachment 2760408View attachment 2760412
Probably a New Hampshire red or Rhode island red, cant really tell their tail color though.

They may resume laying in a few days, or a few weeks. Moving is stressful so it's normal for them to stop laying entirely until they adjust to their new surroundings. I agree with T P S, they look a bit rough around the edges (looks like pecking damage, and overall poor feather condition), so it may take them longer to recover and resume laying, but you never know.

They may resume laying in a few days, or a few weeks. Moving is stressful so it's normal for them to stop laying entirely until they adjust to their new surroundings. I agree with T P S, they look a bit rough around the edges (looks like pecking damage, and overall poor feather condition), so it may take them longer to recover and resume laying, but you never know.
Thank you! Is there anything I can do to help their feather condition? I am completely new to chickens so im not sure what looks healthy and how to fix it if it is not.

Thank you! Is there anything I can do to help their feather condition? I am completely new to chickens so im not sure what looks healthy and how to fix it if it is not.

They probably won't look great until they molt and regrow new feathers, at which time you can provide a little extra protein in the feed to help them with feather growth. A dust bath (or a spot in the yard that can be used as such) would also be appreciated by the birds, to get rid of any parasites plus it seems to make them feel good.

Back
Top Bottom