New Puppy! Pics - guess the mix!

I am getting very curious now...thanks for all of your thoughts and responses. Ruby is now 16 weeks. Her legs are getting quite long. I have plans to see one of the siblings soon for a play date. It"ll be interesting to see how he is turning out. I am thinking that the DNA test is in our future to satisfy my own curiosity. I am leaning toward the Wisdom Insight Panel test. They include all of the breeds that we suspect. I'll be sure to update with results.

I understand that there was a single sire for the litter according to shelter records, as far as what the owner said when she (mom) was surrendered. That is all grain of salt status though. I will say that all puppies had the same bone structure, ear shape, and relative size. My last dog came from a double sire litter and the difference in the puppies was very stark. One is one and one is another though, it's hard to say with dogs!.

Will post updated pictures asap!

Last edited:
UPDATE:
Ruby is now 11 months old and weighing in at 35 lbs! We got her DNA results back last week. Below is an updated pic. She has become very long legged and slight of build. She is extremely fast and can clear a 5 ft. fence easily from a flat footed position. She is a strong swimmer, has tons of endurance and can catch anything thrown her way. Temperament is sensitive, friendly and excitable outside, calm and restrained inside. She loves other dogs, all people and is gentle with children.

As far as the chickens go, she has demonstrated that she can be trusted with them. I trained her by leashing her to my belt and having her accompany me on all chicken chores from the age of 11 weeks. Now that she can jump into their area I started to worry. But she just watches them. She calmly and gently helps us round them up in the evening. I have caught her herding them into the coop on her own. Slowly she moves them all in, then lets them disperse and does it again.

DNA results will follow in the next post. If you want to guess scroll slowly!

Last edited:
Ruby is just adorable !

I'd love to know what the rest of the puppies DNA test as. I really think these tests are hogwash but I'm still always intrigued. since breeds like ACD are a mix up of so many different breeds over time I cannot fathom how a test can determine it has ACD in it but not come back with Collie, Bull Dog, Dingo etc...

I'd say she looks BC & Pittie with those red freckles and long legs and tail... and the red tri's in the litter are common colors of BC & Aussies and Aussies have the ticking color pattern as well... BC's have quite an array of coat colors too (Chocolate, Liver, Blue, Red, Sable, White, Lilac(dilute), Black) and can be solid, bi-colored, tri-colored, merle (there's even some instances of Brindle purebred BC's)... lots of coat options to produce different colors in a litter.

She looks like a really sweet dog regardless !! :)

Last edited:
Thought I would include another photo of Ruby standing just for fun. I also have my doubts about the DNA tests. I was pretty convinced that we had a Border Collie/Cattle Dog/ Bully mix. I am still not convinced that border collie is not in there. There are plenty of genetic contributors in the test that are not detected well enough to list, hence the "mixed breed" dog tag icons. So, it's possible BC is part of the mix.

At this point I think the test is reasonably accurate even if surprising. The AmStaff/Australian Cattle Dog was my first thought when I met the Mom, so I feel like that side is accurate.

Ruby does display behavioral / physical traits of nearly all of the breeds listed.
Cocker Spaniel - Ruby is often seen as a spaniel mix, usually brittany (coloring obviously) but often springer as well. She searches the brush like a spaniel and bounds like a springer. Also, she has spaniel like fur. It is extremely soft. Once people pet her, spaniel often comes to mind. Impossible to see in a photo. I don't know how well the test differentiates between spaniel breeds...but I think we have some kind of spaniel.

Boxer - Ruby is very front paw focused. She reaches for things with her paws before using her mouth. She also jumps up no matter what method of training we use, she wants to box. It is the only breed I can think that may have contributed the long legs. Boxer came to mind before the test results came in too.

German Shepherd - No idea here except that if you google German Shepherd Cocker Spaniel mix you get photos of a dog that Ruby bears a resemblance to.

Cattle Dog / AmStaff Terrier - These seem pretty obvious to me especially the cattle dog. She diplays physical and behavioral traits of both breeds.

It seems like once you get 5 or 6 breeds together in a mix the physical traits become so diluted that it is nearly impossible to tell by looking. It has been a blast getting the test results back and sharing them. It is funny, when people meet this dog they insist on knowing her mix and have had very diverse ideas of what she might be. Most people are totally convinced of whatever they have decided she is! One of our vets says Brittany. Other vet says Whippet! That is part of the reason we did the test, just to have something to say when people ask.

Either way, she is a good egg and we feel like we won the puppy lottery! I would love it if I could get updates about the siblings and see how they are turning out.

Thanks for looking and playing along!

Like you say, the more mixed the dog is, the harder time the tests seem to have. The Am. Staff and ACD seems very reasonable to me, especially since you saw mom, but the other side seems like it was either testing a breed not on their list (ie. say dad was a pure Springer Spaniel, if the breed isn't in their database you are likely to get gibberish breeds or breeds that went into the make up), or a dad with something other than two purebred parents. Whatever she is, she is adorable! :)

Back
Top Bottom