New quail breed- brown layer

copper2

Songster
May 5, 2015
Eating a burger
I've been breeding quail for 10 years now and I was watching them a couple months ago, and saw my California Quail male mate with a Mountain quail female. I separated the two and incubated their eggs and 1 out of 25 eggs HATCHED!!!! Finally 8 weeks have passed and the hybrid quail has been laying for a week now. Here's today's egg... They're always brown!!!!

Wow, that's cool. California quail lay speckled eggs, right? And looks like Mountain quail lay tan eggs? I wonder what genes are causing the solid brown eggs, maybe the brown spot gene of the cali quail eggs gets spread by the solid gene of the mountain quail eggs
hu.gif

Looks like a big egg for a quail.
Your right.... The other day my maran chicken laid a small egg. LOL, I've never raised quail, but I'm sure quail people are short on ideas, has anyone actually tried crossing quail species? They say it's impossible but chickens and guineas mate and hatch out hybrid young.

I'm confused. You mentioned that you've raised quail for 10 years in your opening post, but in the above post, you say you've never raised quail? Anyways, I would like to see pictures of your Valley x Mountain hybrid hen that is currently laying. Although I am open to learning new things, I am finding it difficult to believe you. Valley and mountain quails are both wild species and they do not mature in 8 weeks (~1 3/4 months). Instead, they mature and start laying eggs the following year. At 8 weeks, they are only almost half grown. Now if you were to say coturnix, then I wouldn't have anything to say. I raise both species and in the past, when there was an accidental cross (male mountain x female valley), the hybrid offspring's growth rate was the same as chicks from both the parent species. I agree with Cel45 that that egg is big for a quail. You might have made a mistake and that egg may have been laid by a chicken.

Your right.... The other day my maran chicken laid a small egg. LOL, I've never raised quail, but I'm sure quail people are short on ideas, has anyone actually tried crossing quail species? They say it's impossible but chickens and guineas mate and hatch out hybrid young.

lol.png
Looked like a chicken egg, but that would have been totally awesome if it was a hybrid quail egg. You fooled me
lau.gif

There have been a few threads I've read on hybrid quails, usually they don't make it to adulthood though. I'll try to find them again but they were in the history of my computer that just died so now am borrowing one while mine gets fixed. Memory will be wiped though
he.gif

I'm confused. You mentioned that you've raised quail for 10 years in your opening post, but in the above post, you say you've never raised quail? Anyways, I would like to see pictures of your Valley x Mountain hybrid hen that is currently laying. Although I am open to learning new things, I am finding it difficult to believe you. Valley and mountain quails are both wild species and they do not mature in 8 weeks (~1 3/4 months). Instead, they mature and start laying eggs the following year. At 8 weeks, they are only almost half grown. Now if you were to say coturnix, then I wouldn't have anything to say. I raise both species and in the past, when there was an accidental cross (male mountain x female valley), the hybrid offspring's growth rate was the same as chicks from both the parent species. I agree with Cel45 that that egg is big for a quail. You might have made a mistake and that egg may have been laid by a chicken.

Yeah, finches don't even lay that quickly.

I'm confused.  You mentioned that you've raised quail for 10 years in your opening post, but in the above post, you say you've never raised quail?  Anyways, I would like to see pictures of your Valley x Mountain hybrid hen that is currently laying.  Although I am open to learning new things, I am finding it difficult to believe you.  Valley and mountain quails are both wild species and they do not mature in 8 weeks (~1 3/4 months).  Instead, they mature and start laying eggs the following year.  At 8 weeks, they are only almost half grown.  Now if you were to say coturnix, then I wouldn't have anything to say.  I raise both species and in the past, when there was an accidental cross (male mountain x female valley), the hybrid offspring's growth rate was the same as chicks from both the parent species.  I agree with Cel45 that that egg is big for a quail.  You might have made a mistake and that egg may have been laid by a chicken.
It's a joke....

Back
Top Bottom