New roo and hens questions

Deucebland

Chirping
May 27, 2020
I had some chicken drama, involving a Fox and some hens. My set up is free range with a large secure coop for feeding, sleeping and laying. Long story short, I ended up getting a big astrolorp roo a little over a year old and 6 1yr old hens. I made the choice to integrate them all at once with 2 existing hens, and 5 8 week olds. I locked them all up together in the coop around 2:00 p.m.
I watched them closely in the coop, after an hour checked in periodically and kept them overnight and they did fine. The littles are sticking together, and the roo and new ladies are hanging together, all pretty close to the coop. The two OG (one is injured from the Fox, but is acting normal and seems to be doing well) are doing their normal routine. The roo, his ladies and the littles are all hanging close by the coop. One question is, will they all eventually come together as one flock so the roo will protect them all? My other question is, he is partial to his hens, and has a few favorites he aggressively mates with. But he doesn’t seem to care much about anything else. Will he eventually care for and protect all the hens, or just be like a horny drunken frat boy with two or three of his faves? The whole reason I got him was to protect the flock.

Back
Top Bottom