New roo - young Leghorn.

Britcheflee

In the Brooder
10 Years
Apr 20, 2009
Well, after the loss of our roo to something last week I took the kids to a lady who has too many roos - we got a young Red Leghorn (at least that is what she said he was) an extremely attractive chap as well with beautiful plumage, calm demeanor and easy to handle. Going to wait until it is dark and place him in with the girls who hopefully will go easy on him in the morning!
What is your experience with introducing a younger roo to older hens? Well, I guess I will find out in a few hours and will report back.
Although we miss our old mean roo I think it will be nice to have a less aggresive one to deal with!

Lee

So how'd it go? I just introduced a young roo (Russell) to older hens plus I have a little bantam roo. He's skiddish...I can't get close enough to him to handle him and the bantam (Fidel) is running him all over the yard! I too lost a wonderful rooster named Cogburn about 2 years ago and I'm just now replacing him with Russell. And boy you should hear the crow on this roo! Its sounds like a scream from a horror flick!
lol.png
celebrate.gif

Well, we put him in there this evening when it was dark with no problems - will be up early to check on him tomorrow morning so will report back then. Hopefully the girls will go easy on him!

Lee

Back
Top Bottom