New roost in the pen....

trixanned

In the Brooder
8 Years
Sep 5, 2011
My husband built a new roost outside. 5 feet from the coop in the pen . It has got a roof over the pen and is all fenced in . I have 3 dogs to keep any varment away from the yard.
All of my hens would go sleep on the roost in the coop. But since another roost was built in the pen they have been sleeping on it. Are they smart enough to know that they can also go into the coop to sleep or do they just want to sleep outside ? And will I have to take the new roost down?

Sounds like they just want to sleep there. I'd take it down or lower it so it's only a foot or so off the ground.

My graddad let his pullets free range while growing up. They would sleep in the apple trees come rain or stars. They didn't have any problems, but they were young and strong and maybe dumb. There are feral chickens who sleep outside all the time. So if the run is secure I'd let them decide. By the way my perch in the run is three feet off the ground. If they can get on it they should have no problem getting down no matter the height.

Back
Top Bottom