New rooster about 5 yrs foaming at mouth

MamaWesley

Chirping
Feb 12, 2022
Hey everyone, We adopted a roo and hen about 5 yrs old. He has been foaming at the mouth, clear and yellow-colored. (he does have some yellow goo in the corner of his eyes, not sure if that's related) I've given him ACV and probiotics in his water for a few days now, he is not eating the food the old owner gave us, but I've checked his crop this am and it is flat, I'll recheck this evening. I had given some mealworms, peanuts, and black oil sunflower seeds. They have eaten most of that up. Today I gave crumble with chick grit, (all I have with that-I learned it's prob too small for his age) but I also gave some tuna with oyster shell in it and they both are eating that up real quick. I know he's hungry now. I have massaged his esophagus and his crop gave him some water with a dropper and held him upside down rubbing to check and see if anything would come up nothing. Is there anything else I can do? Gonna cont. with the tuna and oyster shell so I know they are eating and put them in the garden to give them some space to wander around. I don't want to loose them (him, she seems fine) for something that can be fixed. Thanks in advance!

Hi, Knock off the acv and the probiotics and don't give him anymore treats. He might not be eating because of the new environment but no healthy animal will starve if there's food available.
What type of crumble is it? what food did the old owner give him. Any other symptoms? Don't hold him upside down anymore, that's a good way to accidentally choke him and it's only a last resort.
It sounds like a respiratory issue, those can get serious. do you have him quarantined away from the rest of your flock? or did you before you added him to the flock? And for how long? For future note, You're typically supposed to quarantine new chickens as far away from existing flock as possible for about a month just to make sure they are healthy.

Hi, Knock off the acv and the probiotics and don't give him anymore treats. He might not be eating because of the new environment but no healthy animal will starve if there's food available.
What type of crumble is it? what food did the old owner give him. Any other symptoms? Don't hold him upside down anymore, that's a good way to accidentally choke him and it's only a last resort.
It sounds like a respiratory issue, those can get serious. do you have him quarantined away from the rest of your flock? or did you before you added him to the flock? And for how long? For future note, You're typically supposed to quarantine new chickens as far away from existing flock as possible for about a month just to make sure they are healthy.
Ok first, the two are in their own enclosure away from my hens and ducks. I wasn't going to blend them together, they will have their own area. The crumble is Dumor 16% protein, it's what I give my babies. (I also give my babies scratch grains) Not sure what the previous owner had them on, the bag is outside by the other feeds. But it's a mixture of crumble, pellets, corn, grains, and sunflower seeds. There were no other symptoms than what I had written above. He is doing better now, the foaming stopped and his eyes even cleared up somewhat. I was just really worried because of the foaming and his eyes. Why should I knock off the ACV and probiotics? I thought those helped and were preventative... I'm new to this part of caring for my birds, the problems that arise. I thought the mealworms and peanuts and etc, were supplemental vitamins and such? Please explain further. I appreciate all you share, thanks!

Ok first, the two are in their own enclosure away from my hens and ducks. I wasn't going to blend them together, they will have their own area. The crumble is Dumor 16% protein, it's what I give my babies. (I also give my babies scratch grains) Not sure what the previous owner had them on, the bag is outside by the other feeds. But it's a mixture of crumble, pellets, corn, grains, and sunflower seeds. There were no other symptoms than what I had written above. He is doing better now, the foaming stopped and his eyes even cleared up somewhat. I was just really worried because of the foaming and his eyes. Why should I knock off the ACV and probiotics? I thought those helped and were preventative... I'm new to this part of caring for my birds, the problems that arise. I thought the mealworms and peanuts and etc, were supplemental vitamins and such? Please explain further. I appreciate all you share, thanks!

Maybe it was an allergy or he has something irritating him. It's good to hear he's doing better.
If they are eating dumor layer 16%, you need to switch to a non layer feed such as all flock, flock raiser ( nutrena all flock has better protein) or non medicated chick feed with oyster/egg shell on the side. Non laying chickens such as roosters or young pullets or chicks should not eat layer feed (some nibbling is ok) since it loads a non laying birds with too much calcium and has just the bare minimum amount of protein chickens actually need. ( it was developed for egg farm hens, where it's not high priority for the hens to live long) it will stunt chicks and can cause kidney issues in roosters.
Acv can't prevent or treat anything, unless you have the really good stuff with the mother and to get any effect, would require a pretty high concentration and chickens usually won't touch it if it's too vinegary. If you want to add probiotics to their diet, you can give them a weekly small bowl of good yoghurt (with active cultures) or ferment some feed. Stand back, they tend to fling it everywhere. Yoghurt is easier.
Peanuts, mealworms, scratch grains, Sunflower seeds, etc, etc, are treats since they are high in fat and carbs, (equate them to cheetos or chips) they have benefits but not enough to negate the calorie load, they should be fed only a few times a week and just a little bit, less than 10% of their diet. (Less than a tablespoon per chicken.) They should not be mixed into their everyday feed.
Other treats can be scrambled/boiled eggs, tuna, cheese, meat, fruits and veggies etc. As long as it's not salty or too high in fat, chickens can eat it in moderation. :]
Mine love a pinch of mozzarella every so often.
You're doing good so far, good luck!

Thanks so much! I totally forgot about the layer feed, they are older, the blonde moments I guess... I was thinking of protein for wintertime. Question if you know... I give the layer and scratch grains to my ducks as well. Two drakes and two females. More of the scratch grains than layer. Will that hurt my drakes? And they with my hens get peas each day with mealworms and peanuts. I don't want to do anything to harm them... just spoil them too much. Thanks again so much!

Back
Top Bottom