New rooster came in hot. Now is in trouble.

HopMomma

Chirping
Nov 9, 2020
So I recently rescued 2 roosters to add to my flock of 23 hens. When I 1st got the 2 roosters they started fighting. So I separated them I put the one who was losing in the pen with the hens 1st. No issues they all seem to get along fine. This is now day 4. The other one an Isabel Americauna rooster I kept separate. I tried introducing him to the flock today but he went in hot, immediately Pecking the hens and that wasn't a good idea. He got jumped. I separated them several times but each time I set him down another hen or 2 would either get attacked or instigate the fight. I now have him back in the greenhouse and dont know what to do. He is very nice to my kids and I but DANG he isnt chicken friendly. Not even him and the other rooster fought. Just the hens.

Yah I know. I was hoping someone had an idea to try before going to that. As it stands they WILL NOT get along so it has to be done.
How did you introduce them to each other and the original birds? Did you quarantine them and then give them several days where they could look but not touch?

Without quarantine they can spread diseases to your other birds before you have a chance to see what, if anything, is wrong with their health.

Without giving them a chance to get used to each other and the rest of the flock before they are, in their minds, thrown to the wolves, you risk having aggressive behavior.

So I recently rescued 2 roosters to add to my flock of 23 hens. When I 1st got the 2 roosters they started fighting. So I separated them I put the one who was losing in the pen with the hens 1st. No issues they all seem to get along fine. This is now day 4. The other one an Isabel Americauna rooster I kept separate. I tried introducing him to the flock today but he went in hot, immediately Pecking the hens and that wasn't a good idea. He got jumped. I separated them several times but each time I set him down another hen or 2 would either get attacked or instigate the fight. I now have him back in the greenhouse and dont know what to do. He is very nice to my kids and I but DANG he isnt chicken friendly. Not even him and the other rooster fought. Just the hens.
I don't know if this will work on roosters, but we have done it with hens to introduce them to an existing flock. If your run is big enough, try separating the problem rooster with a fence. We divided up half the run (you may have to make the fence kind of high since he can probably jump) this way everyone saw each other every day. Over time-- I think about two weeks, all the girls calmed down and started getting along ok.
I did have a little trouble with my rooster I introduced about three months ago (we have one rooster in each run). The girls wanted to beat him up and so did my other rooster. I had to leave him in a large dog crate and let everyone watch him for a day or two. Hope this helps!

I don't know if this will work on roosters, but we have done it with hens to introduce them to an existing flock. If your run is big enough, try separating the problem rooster with a fence. We divided up half the run (you may have to make the fence kind of high since he can probably jump) this way everyone saw each other every day. Over time-- I think about two weeks, all the girls calmed down and started getting along ok.
I did have a little trouble with my rooster I introduced about three months ago (we have one rooster in each run). The girls wanted to beat him up and so did my other rooster. I had to leave him in a large dog crate and let everyone watch him for a day or two. Hope this helps!
I also have used a large dog crate with newbie placed inside pen..after a week of quarantine. Works well. Just watch as with any socializin,

Back
Top Bottom