New rooster has appeared!

BreeShu

Songster
5 Years
Jun 10, 2018
So this morning while checking my flock I was taken by surprise when a rooster I had never seen before popcorned off one of the runs shelters. Clearly I surprised him just as much as he did to me. Now I live in a residential neighborhood within town and mostly familiar with the two other homes that have chickens also. As far as I'm aware one only has hens and the other has a barred rock rooster. This boy does not belong to any of us. Don't know what he even is. Not sure what my next course of action should be. I'm not particularly happy that anyone thought tossing a unknown bird into a my coop was a good idea in the first place. My hens are not happy with his presence. My rooster oddly enough couldn't care less. He's not friendly enough to allow me to approach so I'm not sure about his health. Suggestions on what I should do or be looking for?

Attachments

• PXL_20211126_212659089.jpg
    PXL_20211126_212659089.jpg
    676.5 KB · Views: 18
  • PXL_20211126_212810219.MP.jpg
    PXL_20211126_212810219.MP.jpg
    572.7 KB · Views: 12
Agreed. Looks like an Easter egger and most likely dumped off at your place because people seem to think that since you have chickens you'll be fine with it. He's cute. If you like him, keep him. Bio-security's already out the window and your girls should warm up to him once they're over the shock. If you don't want him, take him to the humane society, throw him on Craig's list or make dinner out of him. I'd guess he's maybe a bit over a year old. If it were me and I didn't already have 2 roos and a cockerel (which I do 🙄) I'd probably keep him. You might want to check with the 2 people near by who have chickens first though. It's possible that one got a new roo and it wandered over to your girls. If not, one of them may want him too.

Edit: Honestly, eating him would be a last resort. He's not going to have much meat and if he's a well behaved guy I'd try all the other options first.

Last edited:
Agreed. Looks like an Easter egger and most likely dumped off at your place because people seem to think that since you have chickens you'll be fine with it. He's cute. If you like him, keep him. Bio-security's already out the window and your girls should warm up to him once they're over the shock. If you don't want him, take him to the humane society, throw him on Craig's list or make dinner out of him. I'd guess he's maybe a bit over a year old. If it were me and I didn't already have 2 roos and a cockerel (which I do 🙄) I'd probably keep him. You might want to check with the 2 people near by who have chickens first though. It's possible that one got a new roo and it wandered over to your girls. If not, one of them may want him too.
2x :goodpost:

Edit: Honestly, eating him would be a last resort. He's not going to have much meat and if he's a well behaved guy I'd try all the other options first.
I was wondering about how old he may be. His spurs are twice as long as my roo who's around 9mo. I'm gonna wait and see how his temperament feels out once he's used to me. He was a little calmer today than yesterday. I found him already snuggled up in the coop with the main flock last night. Tonight though he choose to sleep with the ducks.

Young EE maybe a yr yr and a half if it were me I'd see how he interacts with my flock and keep him if it is good I am also the one that already has 8roosters in my main flock and 25roosters in a batchler coop and health wise he looks OK a little skinny but ok he was probably dumped off they saw that there was chickens in the neighborhood and figured he would adopt someone's flock and you all wouldn't care I hope all goes well with him good luck

Back
Top Bottom