New Rooster might have respiratory issues? Help!

Thank you so much for uploading that, I really appreciate you taking that time and responding. Thank you!
No problem! I remember when I bought my first rooster, coincidentally, a Barred Rock older than your guy. He was in a dank, wet pen and had raspy breathing, but it cleared up when he got a better environment (and better food and was treated for lice and favus, etc, etc, poor guy)

That is normal for a very young guy. Been raising BRs for over 14 years

I actually....think he could be a she...
I don't see any saddle feathers.
Could this be a possibility?
No way. The coloring is all male on this one. Two barring genes make him that color. A pullet would be much darker because she has only one barring gene. He's only a teenager. Barred Rocks are easy to sex because of this.

Barred Rock hens, note the dark color:
DSC06729.JPG

Their sire, Hector:
DSC00628.JPG

Barred Rocks have sex linked genes so males and females are different colors *as long as he is pure BR, not a black sexlink*. And you may not see saddle feathers until around 13-14 weeks, but they'll be there if they aren't now, trust me.

I hear BR's are friendly though. I really want to get some different breeds.
Yes, that is a breed trait, though hatchery stock can be messed up at times. I have owned hatchery BRs and Rocks from two different heritage/breeder quality lines and they have all been friendly. I have two Barred Rock roosters now, one is 6 years old and the other, the one in the photo I posted to show color, is 4 years old.
If you want to know more about sexing them and see how they develop, check out my long running thread that started in 2014, the Evolution of Atlas. Atlas is my 6 yr old rooster

Do you have a video?
One of my lads has quite a hoarse voice. He always has. They do have different voices.
I did try to add a video but the website isn’t letting me.
No way. The coloring is all male on this one. Two barring genes make him that color. A pullet would be much darker because she has only one barring gene. He's only a teenager. Barred Rocks are easy to sex because of this.

When we first put him near my GLW hens one of them attacked him! That was another clue it could be female. I wasn’t sure if hens would jump to attack a rooster like that. Any thoughts on that? Could that have any indication on sex?

Back
Top Bottom