New Rooster might have respiratory issues? Help!

Jun 27, 2019
Hi all - i just added a rooster to my flock of 5. My hens are 1 year old and my rooster is about 16-20 weeks old. I got him from a friend of a friend and was only told that he is super friendly and they just don't want a roo. I've never had a rooster but the noises he's making don't sound right. He sounds kind of raspy. I'm not sure if it's related to being nervous maybe? Since we just introduced him to the 5 hens. I only hear the rasp when he makes noises, not when he is just breathing normally.
Any tips or advice? Thinking of taking him into a vet sometime this week. Thank you.

Edit: Here is a link to my YouTube channel to listen to my raspy rooster (his name is Richy). https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCv4fokuNEbDbslxOa6lN0Eg?view_as=subscriber

Last edited:
Well sure. I wasn't looking at the barring. I've never had a BR. I was judging as I would judge any other chicken.
But good to know.
That is the good thing about Barred Rocks! You can sex them at hatch with a certain degree of accuracy and definitely when they are feathered in fully. I wanted to assure her that her boy was indeed a boy. Hopefully, he'll be a sweet boy even after the hormones kick in within a few weeks.

Helpful to know about the barring.
I've mainly had buff orps all this time and they're about the only breed I actually know well. I have had a few others but not so many.
I hear BR's are friendly though. I really want to get some different breeds.

When we first put him near my GLW hens one of them attacked him! That was another clue it could be female. I wasn’t sure if hens would jump to attack a rooster like that. Any thoughts on that? Could that have any indication on sex?

Hens will attack any new chicken regardless of the sex and even more so a young and indecisive cockerel.

So, you didn't quarantine him for any period of time? If you didn't, do it now, though it may be too late if he is contagious. But, separate from the others, you can assess the situation. We always recommend quarantine for at least 5-6 weeks away from the breathing space of your flock so you can see if he has respiratory illness and cull him if he does so he doesn't spread it to your hens. Not enough information to go on without hearing him, though, as another said.

In my experience, most vets would tell you to treat without actual testing to see if he has one of the carrier diseases. Coryza and Mycoplasmosis are not curable. Symptoms can subside, but the disease stays with the bird (Typhoid Mary)

All that said, adding that some roosters make a noise like air letting out of a balloon slowly at the end of their crow when they really belt one out, sort of a wheezy noise, so that can be a bit disconcerting, but that may not be what you're hearing.

Last edited:
So, you didn't quarantine him for any period of time? If you didn't, do it now, though it may be too late if he is contagious. But, separate from the others, you can assess the situation. We always recommend quarantine for at least 5-6 weeks away from the breathing space of your flock so you can see if he has respiratory illness and cull him if he does so he doesn't spread it to your hens. Not enough information to go on without hearing him, though, as another said.

In my experience, most vets would tell you to treat without actual testing to see if he has one of the carrier diseases. Coryza and Mycoplasmosis are not curable. Symptoms can subside, but the disease stays with the bird (Typhoid Mary)

No I didnt quarantine him. He is staying away from the girls so far, visa versa.

Back
Top Bottom