New Rooster might have respiratory issues? Help!

Barred Rocks have sex linked genes so males and females are different colors *as long as he is pure BR, not a black sexlink*. And you may not see saddle feathers until around 13-14 weeks, but they'll be there if they aren't now, trust me.

Well sure. I wasn't looking at the barring. I've never had a BR. I was judging as I would judge any other chicken.
But good to know.
That is the good thing about Barred Rocks! You can sex them at hatch with a certain degree of accuracy and definitely when they are feathered in fully. I wanted to assure her that her boy was indeed a boy. Hopefully, he'll be a sweet boy even after the hormones kick in within a few weeks.

Helpful to know about the barring.
I've mainly had buff orps all this time and they're about the only breed I actually know well. I have had a few others but not so many.
I hear BR's are friendly though. I really want to get some different breeds.

I hear BR's are friendly though. I really want to get some different breeds.
Yes, that is a breed trait, though hatchery stock can be messed up at times. I have owned hatchery BRs and Rocks from two different heritage/breeder quality lines and they have all been friendly. I have two Barred Rock roosters now, one is 6 years old and the other, the one in the photo I posted to show color, is 4 years old.
If you want to know more about sexing them and see how they develop, check out my long running thread that started in 2014, the Evolution of Atlas. Atlas is my 6 yr old rooster

Great, thanks.
6 years isn't bad! BO's never seem to live very long lives. I have two lads at the moment. Both 3 years. They are the nicest boys ever.
I bought a Light Sussex chick along with a Cuckoo Maran. Turns out the CM is a Silver Laced Wyandotte. The LS is a buff orpington. I'm doomed to always get buffs.

Do you have a video?
One of my lads has quite a hoarse voice. He always has. They do have different voices.
I did try to add a video but the website isn’t letting me.
No way. The coloring is all male on this one. Two barring genes make him that color. A pullet would be much darker because she has only one barring gene. He's only a teenager. Barred Rocks are easy to sex because of this.

When we first put him near my GLW hens one of them attacked him! That was another clue it could be female. I wasn’t sure if hens would jump to attack a rooster like that. Any thoughts on that? Could that have any indication on sex?

When we first put him near my GLW hens one of them attacked him! That was another clue it could be female. I wasn’t sure if hens would jump to attack a rooster like that. Any thoughts on that? Could that have any indication on sex?

Hens will attack any new chicken regardless of the sex and even more so a young and indecisive cockerel.

I did try to add a video but the website isn’t letting me.

Nope, that has nothing to do with it. That is definitely a male-Barred Rock coloring doesn't lie. My first rooster was much older than yours and my hens attacked him, coincidentally, my Wyandottes. He had to lay down the law to them and by Day 2, they were in line.

Back
Top Bottom