New Rooster question

Aamanda

Chirping
6 Years
Aug 29, 2013
Linn Creek, MO
I recently bought a new Rooster to add to my flock. My first rooster is 6 months old and taking good care of the ladies. The test hatch was 16 out of 18 eggs so I know he is doing his job. But with 17 hens and another 15 pullets growing and soon to join the flock full time I thought he might need a little help lol. So we added an 11 month old Lavender Orp roo. He has assimilated into the flock well. Had him about 2 weeks now. What im wondering is when/if he will start acting like a roo? LOL he struts around nice but if a hen runs by him he runs away. When might I hear him crow? And will he in time help our other roo with the girls or will he just hang out and end up being the hens "best friend" lol.

It all depends on the temperament of your flock. If your flock is all well mannered then in time he will fill his roll as a rooster and the girls may take turns with who they follow for the day. If you have a stressed flock it may not work. The first time I had more then one rooster it took about a month for him to step up. I lost the head rooster (predator attack) and got another one that is just as calm as the rest of my flock but it has been 6 weeks and he tries but the hens have not allowed him to do his job yet. The hens have a lot to say about it too. They expect him to act a certain way for them to allow him to mate. As long as they are all getting along I would just give it time.

My flock is pretty laid back and happy lol. And both the boys seem to get along fairly well. I guess I just would love to hear him crow!! lol.

Give him some time. You are lucky your existing roo didn't kick his butt, when you add the pullets and they come of age the roos may have to settle who will 'do' who.

Give him some time. You are lucky your existing roo didn't kick his butt, when you add the pullets and they come of age the roos may have to settle who will 'do' who.

My existing roo is pretty laid back and calm as well as being young. He takes good care of the ladies too. Great fertility rate so far. I just put the new roo in the coop in a cage for a few days then let him out. My first roo chases him every now and then but just for a few steps. I kept an eye on them but had no trouble.

Back
Top Bottom