New Rooster

Hassankq1

Hatching
5 Years
Oct 19, 2014
I had a young couple of chickens and both were very comfortable with each other but one day the rooster died. I brought one new of the same breed but the both are not getting settled wtih each other. everytime I leave them together they indulge in terrible fight and i have to get in to stop it. What should I do to make them comfortable and move towards mating.

I had a young couple of chickens and both were very comfortable with each other but one day the rooster died. I brought one new of the same breed but the both are not getting settled wtih each other. everytime I leave them together they indulge in terrible fight and i have to get in to stop it. What should I do to make them comfortable and move towards mating.

welcome-byc.gif

Did you just put him straight in the pen when you got him? (Did you quarantine him first)?

Ideally, one should quarantine new additions for two weeks or more, if they then seem okay, then put the new additions in a cage (or pen) next to or inside the main housing so the established flock can get used to the newcomer before adding them. After a few days, add newcomer to the roost at night. Expect some fights as that is normal pecking order stuff. (Who is more dominate, etc.) Usually they will work those things out fairly quickly if added gradually.

You possibly could try removing the rooster/cockerel who was there first (or, the cockerel who acts more dominant) for a few days, and see if that helps to take him down a peg or so, and try again.

Hello :frow and Welcome To BYC! X3 on introducing the new bird to the flock and doing a health quarantine. After keeping the new bird totally apart from the others for a couple of weeks, itt is best to have a long period of the two being able to see each other but no touching, through wire seem to work best, ie dividing the coop into two sections or keeping the new bird in a cage inside the coup for a couple of weeks to a month at least. The chickens will get to know each other and sort of work out a pecking order before actually coming in contact with each other. After a week or two, letting them free range together is a good idea and should help... It will take a couple of weeks to get the pecking order sorted out. Adding a rooster to and established flock of hens is usually easier than adding a new hen, but it still takes some time. There is a nice article in the Learning Center on integrating flocks you might like to check out, the part about actually combining them is after the quarantine section https://www.backyardchickens.com/a/adding-to-your-flock

Hello there and welcome to BYC!
frow.gif

Sorry you are having troubles. X4 on the above advice. Quarantining new flock members is a must. Protects the flock from disease and protects the new birds from aggressive injuries. Keep the newbies in cage or fenced off area for 3 to 4 weeks. Everybody sees, nobody touches. You will be able to tell of the new bird or birds is sick and this also allows the old flock to adapt to the new bird. On mixing day, the aggression should be a lot less. Always add more feeding and watering stations when adding new birds. The original flock tends to guard these areas and can starve out the newbies.

Good luck with your flock! Definitely follow the links the others have provided.

Back
Top Bottom