New roosts...advice and help please :)

TracyLK

In the Brooder
8 Years
Apr 15, 2011
So we finally built our permanent roost for the girls and could get rid of the junky temporary ones (which was just wood on bricks). The usually all slept in a pile in the corner, but we still wanted something nice for them. So it is 2 feet off the ground with 4 different roosting levels and a ladder going up. So the girls went in to bed and laid in a pile and I went in and put a few of them on it well you would have thought I was waxing them the way they carried on, jumped off, and even fell off. We have silkies, bantam cochins, and 6 large fowl -- Cochins, orpingtons, brahmas, Wyandotte, and barred rocks. Any advice on how to help them adjust or will they just figure it out with time? Will my silkies and bantam Cochin be able to climb the ladder to be with the rest? Aye these birds are lucky they are cute
wink.png

They will eventually figure it out. Mine were the same way and soon as one gets the hang of it then it will be follow the leader.

They will get the hang of it in a few days I'm sure, they just don't like change.
Have you clipped the wings of the bantams? If not then they will have no trouble
with the ladder. Even so, my roost is really high and they all manage to fly/jump
up there easy enough -
even when they had clipped wings. Bantams are good like that
smile.png

Back
Top Bottom