NEW Silkie Roo, what do you think? PICS!

Shared Acres

Songster
11 Years
Aug 10, 2008
Northeast Fla
Just got this guy Sunday, VERY VERY soft and sweet. Was told that he won an award for best splash.

He is very soft and poofy, great feathering on feet. Was told he was perfect. I'm pretty new to Silkies and ESPECIALLY show quality, so I'm open to input, so I'll know what to look for!

The wind was blowing kind of hard today, so his fro was being blown back some:
BwackOct6086239LRlogo.jpg

The black female Oprah, will be his girlfriend, once she stops beating him up! LOL

BwackOct6086259LRlogo.jpg

BwackOct6086262LRlogo.jpg

I tried to get some from all angles:
BwackOct6086263LRlogo.jpg

And I do mean all angles, lol:
BwackOct6086206LRlogo.jpg

I am sooooo far from an expert on silkies, but I think they are supposed to have darker combs, more than red. But I am totally not sure. Anyway, he is very, very handsome. I love his coloring & his feathering is gorgeous!!!!

Actually his comb isn't all that bad. I personall like mine a little more purple than his, but he isn't by far the worst I've seen. Trust me, I've seen some RED, and I mean fire engine red combs.

He is a nice looking Silkie overall though. Good tail, short back, nice full top knot, good color. Great little Silkie.

Is it your camera or the lighting, or does he have some red in the wings though?

Thanks for all the comments.

It's probably just the saturation.

He does have a couple of odd feather colors hidden in there. On one wing he had a slight brown color at a tip of the wing.

In the tail there are a couple that have a green tint to it.

Also, on Oprah (the black one) she has a lot of brown tint to her, is that acceptable?

Last edited by a moderator:
Its acceptable to a point. You'll find that a lot of black silkies have brown in them, for some reason or another. The object is to keep that brown out, and get a nice beetle green sheen to the feathers.

As for the red in the splash, it is considered an "off color" and depending on who is judging, a few points may be taken off. If you use him for breeding (which I would totally do) inspect the resulting offspring. In future generations you can replace him with his offspring that dont have the red.

Either way, both are very nice looking birds! And you are definitely an AWESOME photographer. Makes me wish I would have kept up with my photography, but I haven't shot anything in years!

Thank you sooo much!

And for anyone in the area, I DO photograph people with pets (or pets by themselves) in studio or on location!

Of course, if you have an awesome silkie, I might just do a trade!

Back
Top Bottom