New Silkie with clumpy beard

LemonyCatapult

Songster
Jul 27, 2018
London, Ontario
AD48FCCC-C4E8-4480-8FB5-25C253E4DF4B.jpeg
AD48FCCC-C4E8-4480-8FB5-25C253E4DF4B.jpeg 66184F21-425E-404D-B9A8-0B1A15043337.jpeg Hi there,

I just purchased a Silkie pullet from a local farm. She had pretty bad lice when we got her and I’ve been treating that, but she has also has clumps in her beard? I’ve only read about lice nests near the vent, but is that what these are? Do I need to cut them off or will flea bath kill them?

Attachments

• 23404A2B-EA0E-4F77-9CCD-ADEB11D1EED1.jpeg
    23404A2B-EA0E-4F77-9CCD-ADEB11D1EED1.jpeg
    196.2 KB · Views: 4
I'd go ahead and cut off that area and bath her with the shampoo.

Also Ivermectin will get rid of lice and mites in chickens if you havent treated with medications yet.

I'd go ahead and cut off that area and bath her with the shampoo.

Also Ivermectin will get rid of lice and mites in chickens if you havent treated with medications yet.
Great, thanks. I hadn’t been medicating yet, just a flea bath but I’ll keep it in mind if I don’t notice them getting better!

If there are lice eggs in the beard, they hatch every 10 days. What have you been using to treat the lice? Permethrin is very good to use 7-10 days apart at least twice to get rid of the lice and the eggs. I would shampoo the beard to get any food or gunk out, and to look for lice eggs. In this good link about lice and mites there are good pictures of lice eggs:
https://the-chicken-chick.com/poultry-lice-and-mites-identification/

Great, thanks. I hadn’t been medicating yet, just a flea bath but I’ll keep it in mind if I don’t notice them getting better!
Great! It works for lice and mites. Can find it at tractor supply and many other places, amazon, ect.. hope she gets better! It'll probably be listed for horses but the forums on here will tell you correct dosage if you end up needed it. Best of luck

Back
Top Bottom