New Silkies Lav/Buff crossing. (PIX)

They ARE pure silkie.

Breed out-cross was many generations ago--the lavender was brought into silkies several years prior to 2001--don't recall from which breed. Of course no one called it lavender then--they called it self-blue, as is the recognised variety name for both APA and ABA. It was initially bred mostly into blues. I purchased a lavender splash (lavlav BlBl) in November 2001.

GM started breeding the self-blue into his buffs at least four or five years back--I can remember him talking about wanting to create porcelain silkies--his interest was in the diluted buff colouring. I think he now prefers the ones with the more lavender cast. They are both pretty.

Lemon/citron is the dilute formed using ig, not lav. There is both a genetic and appearance difference. ig dilutes red pigment only. lav dilutes both red and black. Birds labeled lemon or citron do not have the black pigment diluted.

Lemon is, to use a rather unspecific term, yellower. Rather like a pale pastel yellow. Here are photos of lemon mille fleurs:
CitronPorcCkl.JPEG
CitronPorcP.JPEG

Lemon braekels (they have a barring pattern similar to campines):
BrakelLemonP.JPEG

Citron sebrights:
CitronSebrPr.JPEG

Lemon blues (although I am reasonably sure that they are not based upon ig):
ModernBtyCryar.JPEG

Ignoring the various patterns of the above birds, the lemon is still quite different than the isabel. On a different forum there is a thread on the isabels--and the posters there are the same people from whom you received your information on lemon/citron.

my bad
hmm.png
i thought i read that they were crossed. and i was only kidding about the almost look pure. i did put a laughing symbol next to that.

Back
Top Bottom