New stealth coop...

fair warning from someone who knows..............
everything will be great for about six to ten mo.then when they start laying.. do you know how loud the egg song is! your neighbors will .especially in a residential area,it seems to echo!!!!!!!!! also word to the wise ..once you let them wander the yard, they get spoiled and at first sign of light (5 am!...)they will start letting you know they want out......
i loved my 3 hens ,but felt they were just too loud and wanted to stay on good terms w/ the neighbors, i know you may not want to hear that, just a warning, sorry
sad.png

but maybe you'll get lucky.......best of luck
smile.png

Last edited:
Quote:
all of our urban chickens [only have henny left from the group now,but of the layers we also had penny and ethel] have never been noisy-laying or not,dont know if its a common trait of ex bats,am not experienced enough with them to know that.

coop10X,
very nice looking coop and run indeed,woud say to make some use out of the tall head height by adding more things for them-roosting bars,swings,making a dangling non toxic and non swallowable feeder so that different treats can be pecked at,and making it a bit less boring for them,the safe/unsafe foods list that personaly use for own chucks is here on BYC:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/web/viewblog.php?id=2593-Treats_Chart

the coop looks very nice indeed,seeing as are needing to keep this 'quiet' in the neighbourhood, what about putting a thick wooden fence [no gaps] on the inside of the wall,making it quite tall [pending on local laws],as this will soundproof some of the chickens noise somewhat,have seen a number of schools in tight residential areas being forced to do this because of the noise from the children and it does help.

a coop that looks like a garden shed to everyone on the outside woud be a good idea,something like this for quick example:
http://www.yorktimberproducts.co.uk/images/stories/displaymodels/images/9pane/img01.jpg

Last edited:
So nice! Do you have chickens yet? Of course every breed will have ones that are louder than others, but my sister and I have noted particular squawking (like all day long, sounding like velociraptors) with our EE breeds. I have two out of 9 that are a year apart in age and they both drive me crazier than the rooster! My sister had to rehome her EE for the same reason. Whined all day long. My Black Australorp is the most silent one I have. The rest all sing the occasional egg song at full volume. (Buff O, Welsummer, RBLW, & leghorn).

Back
Top Bottom