New subject for "I think I made a big mistake" Dac's broodies and chi

I decided to change the subject for this thread to keep it more current. I also hope others can learn from my experience and the help and suppport I got from others in BYC. I received it both from people that posted during the ordeal and from research I did on the forum. Thank you so very much everyone.

Lucky is doing fine. He is a little behind the other chicks still. He can't quite clear as tall an obstacle as the others.

Momma hen and her chicks have been quite active. Chicken behavior is fascintating. She takes dust baths and the little peepers have been taking dust baths also. She clucks and they come running to get some food. She picks up pieces of food and chews (for lack of a better term) and drops it for the chicks. She is very protective but is also becoming more tolerant of me.

Banty momma has been fun to watch to also.
Yesterday I noticed her clucking very softly to her eggs and she was looking at them alot. That's when I noticed the first pips. Aside from spending a lot of time watching I left them alone.

I slept in this morning and my wife checked the chickens. She came back with the news that an egg had hatched and the chick had gotten out of the nest and she had to help it back in.
We have spent much of today watching the chicks as they peeked out from under Momma Banty. We finally verified that we had 8 chicks, they are all different, which meant a 100% success rate. Hard to beat Mother Nature sometimes.

Here are the new chicks.

DSCN1996_crop.jpg

Back
Top Bottom