New thoughts on catching free range peacocks?

Wrensongfarm

Hatching
9 Years
Jun 23, 2010
I saw an old post on catching peacocks but was wondering if anyone had a tried/true method(s). I caught the female but have a full grown male and a male youngster to catch. I'm worried about the peahen getting lonely in her pen all by herself. The boys are pretty wary of me now...due to my botched attempts at catching them. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance! Tammy

I bought fishing nets and used them to catch wild ones. I also threw it over them and I threw some old netting over them. I set live animal traps to I put apples and chicken scartch in it and I caught a few that way.

Low-brass 7 1/2 shot works well. #6 shot for the really spooky ones.
wink.png

Quote:
I hope I am misunderstanding you but do you mean to shoot them?

This guy don't like Peafowl, and always has some smart!#? remark
smack.gif
. He should say where the chicken post are since that's all he likes.

Quote:
I hope I am misunderstanding you but do you mean to shoot them?

smack.gif

You mean me or the other guy?

Quote:
smack.gif

You mean me or the other guy?

The other guy.

My 8-year old son actually captured my free-range peafowl for me. Simply by chance, he saw my peacock walk into my husband's workshop. So, my son ran over and shut the door. I was then able to grab his legs and pen him up. I then (my son's idea) placed my peacock in the shop (in his temporary kennel) to lure my peahen in. It was just a few mimutes, and I had her as well.

These birds are definitely human-shy, and I had never been able to get too close to them. Nets and stuff didn't work. They were always just out of reach and too fast.

The "shop trap" worked perfectly. It's a small shop. Not too many places to get away from us.

Back
Top Bottom