1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

New to birds... Can't locate eggs!

Discussion in 'Quail' started by cshaw07, Nov 19, 2015.

1. cshaw07

cshaw07 New Egg

Nov 19, 2015
    Hello,

My name is Curtis and I'm in Ohio. I used to raise meat rabbits and have now decided to get back into raising my own meat and eggs. I've been reading about Quail, breeding, hatching, raising, habitat, feeding, etc. I've ordered a hovabator and an auto egg turner and built one of two brooders so far. I've been collecting lumber for the actual cages/structure for that. I get both my incubator and egg turner today, it will take me a few days to build the grow out/breeder cages. I have everything I need, EXCEPT the quail! There are two people local to me that have adds on craigslist but neither of them have birds that are laying. I'm looking for a place to buy some fertilized eggs online, I'd like about 3 doz. Anyone have a reputable place? Or, is this forum and it's members a reputable place ;)

Anyway, I like this forum, there's tons of info. Glad to be here!

2. Lozuufy

Lozuufy Nutty Pigeons Premium Member

May 20, 2012
    MA/VT
    I usually get eggs from sellers on ebay, most of the time I get a good hatch rate (over 50%).

3. cshaw07

cshaw07 New Egg

Nov 19, 2015
    i just ordered 48 from a seller on ebay for $34.

4. Lozuufy

Lozuufy Nutty Pigeons Premium Member

May 20, 2012
    MA/VT
    Great, I hope you get a good hatch rate!

Just a tip for ordering eggs, I've noticed that I get the best hatch rates with the temperature during shipping being between 35-75 degrees Fahrenheit.

Welcome to BYC too!

Last edited: Nov 19, 2015

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by