New To Board & Proud Owner Of A New Stagecoach Chicken Tractor

Quote:
So they didn't try to dig under?

Ron

No, but the ground is frozen here. The electrician was using a gas powered trencher Friday and was having a doozy of a time getting a trench dug to my mother's greenhouse.

After seeing the damage done, I am considering adding a solar powered fence charger with battery for nighttime use...just for an extra jolt. Cause I can't buy new tarps every day.

Yeah, I had forgotten that the ground is as hard as concrete here due to the extended freeze. The solar fence charger sounds like an excellent idea!

Hey there juliect. I'm up here in Maryville. Cool tractor - and glad your chickens are ok. Did you get them from the Amish in Delano? I got all of mine there and have been really happy with them. We ride around alot and go through Niota sometimes. We'll have to check out the new Co-op in Athens. Actually we buy chicken feed and scratch at the Loudon Co-Op when we drive through cause it's cheaper then our Co-op.

Quote:
Hey Sunshine, can you tell me a little bit more about the chickens from the Amish in Delano?

Ron

I don't know much about how they raise them, I plan on asking them this spring. I was just so wanting chickens last spring I grabbed them up. The ones I bought were already starting to lay (I didn't want to fool with little ones). In fact my SIL bought one that layed on the way home. I don't know if they hatch them or order day-old chicks. I bought 2 BOs, 2 BRs, 2 SLW, 2 RIR, and 2 Red Sex Links. I went back on 2 other occasions and bought 2 more RIRs and 3 more Red Sex-links. On up during the summer I lost 1 BO and 1 SLW.. Didn't have enough sense to know what was wrong with them. This forum sure helps!

These chickens have layed very well for me - in fact with the 13 I still have, I get 6-9 eggs each day. No artificial light, no heat in coop.

Their farms are so facinating, we go several times each summer and just drive through. They have a wonderful produce stand, very reasonable prices. Their small animal sales are the last Saturday of each month from March to early fall. You can find guinies, ducks, calfs, turkeys, goats, and chickens galore!

Edited to say: Sorry juliect - I stole your thread.

Last edited:
Quote:
Hey Sunshine, can you tell me a little bit more about the chickens from the Amish in Delano?

Ron

I don't know much about how they raise them, I plan on asking them this spring. I was just so wanting chickens last spring I grabbed them up. The ones I bought were already starting to lay (I didn't want to fool with little ones). In fact my SIL bought one that layed on the way home. I don't know if they hatch them or order day-old chicks. I bought 2 BOs, 2 BRs, 2 SLW, 2 RIR, and 2 Red Sex Links. I went back on 2 other occasions and bought 2 more RIRs and 3 more Red Sex-links. On up during the summer I lost 1 BO and 1 SLW.. Didn't have enough sense to know what was wrong with them. This forum sure helps!

These chickens have layed very well for me - in fact with the 13 I still have, I get 6-9 eggs each day. No artificial light, no heat in coop.

Their farms are so facinating, we go several times each summer and just drive through. They have a wonderful produce stand, very reasonable prices. Their small animal sales are the last Saturday of each month from March to early fall. You can find guinies, ducks, calfs, turkeys, goats, and chickens galore!

Edited to say: Sorry juliect - I stole your thread.

Thanks Sunshine, I'll try to check that out sometime this summer!

Ron

Quote:
Thanks!
My four older hens came from the Amish in Delano, 2 Speckled Sussex and 2 EEs. They are great chickens, they have laid straight through this bitter cold (I personally, would have stopped around 50 degrees
smile.png
). I originally only intended on keeping four hens, but then the chicken addiction bug bit and I ordered my Faverolles from MPC. Planning on going back to the Amish in Spring, because I really love the Speckled Sussex I purchased from them. Need more chickens! Need more chickens! Need more chickens!

I can't tell you how many hours I've spent looking at coops and tractors online and stumbled across your stagecoach, and I think I'm in love. Are you still happy with it and have your chix remained safe inside? I'm worried about racoons digging under. Did you ever install the electric fence?

Last edited:
Quote:
Never installed an electric fence, but both tractors are still secure. Something tried to dig under one of the tractors once, but apparently gave up (it helps that the soil here is like cement). The only problem I've had was when I mowed to close and snagged one of the wheels on the mower, ended up breaking the lift handle (but that was my fault and not a design flaw). Both are still easy to move, although I do have to reinflate the tires from time to time.

The thing I like about it is the height, most tractors a human can't fit inside so that becomes a problem when you have to catch a particular chicken from time to time. This one is tall enough that I can get inside and be able to reach all corners, which is especially handy when you have a young hen that insists on laying EVERYWHERE but the nest boxes (the others use the nest boxes without a problem, I think she just has rebellion issues)

I still highly recommend this design, they are extremely easy to work with. Can't go wrong!

Back
Top Bottom