New to building coops..need advice from the seasoned chicken owners!

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by CherG07, Sep 11, 2019.

1. CherG07

CherG07 In the Brooder

May 30, 2019
    White Settlement, Texas
    I have already drew up the plans for my coop. I actually put in a lot of thought to it and printed out an existing plan and made it my own. When I put my heart in to something I become obsessed with it until it’s all figured out. I have 3 pullets and a cockerel. This is an 8x6x4 coop with 8 nest boxes (for expansion). Yes I’m worried about paint! I want their home to last. Don’t get too caught up in my priorities. The size and location are number 1 and it’s already figured :)

2. CherG07

CherG07 In the Brooder

May 30, 2019
    White Settlement, Texas
    I have already drew up the plans for my coop. I actually put in a lot of thought to it and printed out an existing plan and made it my own. When I put my heart in to something I become obsessed with it until it’s all figured out. I have 3 pullets and a cockerel. This is an 8x6x4 coop with 8 nest boxes (for expansion). Yes I’m worried about paint! I want their home to last. Don’t get too caught up in my priorities. The size and location are number 1 and it’s already figured :)

3. CherG07

CherG07 In the Brooder

May 30, 2019
    White Settlement, Texas
    I have my back and front wall framing, my “stand/floor” and parts of my nest box framing. Due to finances I can only buy a bit at a time. With 5 kids it’s a weigh game. I have to wait till all bills are paid per pay period which is fine. Gives me plenty of time to pay attention and get it right as I’m building. I have the frames fully painted and stand/floor minus the actual floor painted. It’s going to be a slow build but I will make sure to take pics of my progress for y’all.

Sequel and Cryss like this.
  4. Cryss

Cryss Free Ranging

Nov 12, 2017
    Northwest New Jersey
    Mine has been painfully slow. Told my son in law we had a good 5 weeks for building because that was when I was getting the pullets. 4 weeks later I knew it wasn't happening so I let him know the little pullets would be in the introduction cage for a couple weeks once they arrived. 4 weeks later I let him know they were still small enough to not take up much room in the old coop. Ok....we're close now. But this started in the beginning of March!:barnie

Sequel and hispoptart like this.
  5. HopeSprings

HopeSprings Songster

Feb 3, 2019
    Weaverville, NC
    No, but they're holding!

6. CherG07

CherG07 In the Brooder

May 30, 2019
    White Settlement, Texas
    Oh wow. I’m sorry to hear!! I can understand how that could be frustrating.

7. CherG07

CherG07 In the Brooder

May 30, 2019
    White Settlement, Texas
    Here’s the draw up.

Attached Files:

8. aart

aart Chicken Juggler!

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    Looks like a decent rough sketch...can't see it all tho.
    Floor space is 48 x 75"?
    How many birds do you plan on keeping?

Sequel and hispoptart like this.
  9. CherG07

CherG07 In the Brooder

May 30, 2019
    White Settlement, Texas
    Floor space total is 6x4 if you discount the nestboxes. 8x4 with nestboxes. The run is quite bigger...almost half our back yard. I’d estimate the space to be around 300 square feet or so. We have 4 chickens at the moment. The drawing was on crappy notebook paper sorry. It’s just a rough stretch so y’all could see the basic finished look and how it’s pieced together. I didn’t put in the details like ventilation windows, the legs, doors, or the ramp.

I already have clear corrugated plastic roofing. I forget if it’s poly of pvc. Got it Home Depot. If I paint it can it be used for the 3 roofs?

10. I always use white, exterior grade, semi-gloss paint on interior walls. The semi-gloss is scrubbable and white makes it easy to spot if mites or other creepy-crawlies have invaded the coop. I also caulk all joints and seams to remove as many hiding spots for mites as possible.

I use scrap vinyl for floors but always paint or stain under it for added moisture protection for the wood. I don’t glue the vinyl, just nail it along the edges - it’s not made with chicken scratching in mind and will eventually wear out, even with deeper bedding. All surfaces, inside and out, have at least 3-4 coats of paint, varnish, or other wood sealer before use - I want that wood protected!

Criticalicious likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: