New to building coops..need advice from the seasoned chicken owners!

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by CherG07, Sep 11, 2019.

1. aart

aart Chicken Juggler!

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    I hope it was a pneumatic gun with good long staples.
    Hand powered staple gun staples can come out quite easily, not good for chickens to eat.

Sequel likes this.
  2. CherG07

CherG07 In the Brooder

May 30, 2019
    White Settlement, Texas
    You’re right. Glue is just an extra expense...I think I might go with others recommendations though to use the roofing stuff but I don’t like how dark it is :/ boo. It’s 8x4 foot coop, with nest boxes on both sides of the length equalling 8 total (not necessary I know but it looks good lol) It’s 24” off the ground. The height is 4 foot in the front with a single slope toward the back which is 3 feet...that’s where my cleanout doors will be The coop is going to have ventilation on all 4 sides. 2 at 1x2’ up front, 2 at 1x3 1/2 in the back on the doors, and one on each side :)

3. aart

aart Chicken Juggler!

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    Not the expense, but this...
    It's too bad that look seem to be your number one priority. I hope for the birds sake that what you come up with functions well for the birds too.

4. CherG07

CherG07 In the Brooder

May 30, 2019
    White Settlement, Texas
    I told my husband about the glass board...he knows what it is but I don’t lol. He said that’s perfect for the floor. As for the paint I picked bher premium plus exterior flat. It’s scrubable and it says it durable. I could of probably picked a different option but this coop will only hold 8 chickens and I know me... there will be more chickens lol.

Criticalicious likes this.
  5. Criticalicious

Criticalicious Crowing

Feb 25, 2017
    New Market, VA
    Glassboard looks like very hard linoleum, almost like whiteboard material with bumps on it. It comes in white. Lowe's calls it something else, I forget what.

Sequel and CherG07 like this.
  6. blackdog043

blackdog043 Crowing

Feb 19, 2017
    Charlotte, NC
    Whatever you put on the floor will be covered with bedding, you won't see it.

Sequel likes this.
  7. aart

aart Chicken Juggler!

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    It's fiberglass.

Sequel and Criticalicious like this.
  8. Quackter

Quackter Songster

May 15, 2019
    Just because of the rabbits and the dogs, we use the non-toxic barn paint. The Home Depot, (I wish I could remember the brand, it wasn't Behr), $14 per gallon here, covers very well. Only draw back, I think three colors, and they won't tint it. Rural King, (a store that I love), their house brand of barn paint, I was very disappointed in. It wouldn't cover worth a darn, three coats, where the HD took two. I have good luck with their enamels. It could have been a bad can, but I'm not buying a second to find out. Good luck finishing the rest of your build.

9. CherG07

CherG07 In the Brooder

May 30, 2019
    White Settlement, Texas
    Will this work over paint? I’m using bher premium plus flat exterior paint.

10. CherG07

CherG07 In the Brooder

May 30, 2019
    White Settlement, Texas
    M
    I’m not putting in too much extra. The outside will basically be plywood. Here in a min I’m going to draw up the plans and post a pic for everyone.

11. CherG07

CherG07 In the Brooder

May 30, 2019
    White Settlement, Texas
    M
    I’m not putting in too much extra. The outside will basically be plywood. Here in a min I’m going to draw up the plans and post a pic for everyone.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: