New to building coops..need advice from the seasoned chicken owners!

I worry about that too. It gets so hot here. The location is shaded the entire day though and it gets a nice cross breeze. I have a wireless weather monitor already being used. I plan to mount it in the coop. It’s a little white box that sends readings to a tablet type thing in our bedroom which hangs on the wall. It tells us the temp, humidity, if it’s raining or sunny ect. If it gets too hot my husband is handy and can make some window fans to mount outside of the vent windows. Do you think leaving it clear and not painting the roofing will make it hotter?

I think I’d paint it - a light color to reflect the sun. I’d probably just use white Kilz or Zinsser.

Will this work over paint? I’m using bher premium plus flat exterior paint.
Good morning from Wyoming. I don't know but at the least I would rough up any painted surfaces to increase the adhesion factor. The waterproof is a little on the thick side and takes a couple of days to cure here and our climate is fairly dry .

574F378E-B448-464F-A3D8-19CCD58A965E.jpeg
9A039C87-3ABA-489F-9CB2-745BF6079BC8.jpeg
Here’s the framing mostly done! Need to get plywood for the walls still. The top portion is wired and ply wood around the bottom portion. I’m so excited!! My only concern at this point is that I calculated the nest box area as being a square foot. It is a 12” square. The rooster, Teriyaki Chicken (Terry for short) was standing in the nest box framing and he was at least 4” above the lowest part of the 12” square. So did I do it right. You can see where the nest boxes are on the framing.

Thank you!!
I realize that I don’t need 8 now and I did in my designing as well. I’m taking your advice and going to use one side for food and water :) the coop build is at a halt for now until we get the old aviary broke down. I don’t want the coop to get too heavy before we have to move it into place.
Looks pretty good!
You don't need 8 nests for that sized coop.

Great idea with using the 2nd side of boxes for food and water! I’d suggest doing a large communal nesting box as well. I have a 5x8 walk in coop and my ladies love sharing it. I put curtains to block the light (I have a lot of ventilation/windows) which helps a ton. Super cute build! Just out of curiosity, is it framed out of 2x2’s?

Great idea with using the 2nd side of boxes for food and water! I’d suggest doing a large communal nesting box as well. I have a 5x8 walk in coop and my ladies love sharing it. I put curtains to block the light (I have a lot of ventilation/windows) which helps a ton. Super cute build! Just out of curiosity, is it framed out of 2x2’s?

I used 2x3 for the platform and legs...I’m thinking about adding another 2x3 to each leg for better support. Kids have been climbing on it and it doesn’t wobble or anything but just in case. I am using 2x2 for all framing including rafters and doors. All pieces are glued, screwed, and nailed together :). Everything is holding up pretty well. The build is at a stand still for now. I need 2 sheets of plywood to finish it off. I can’t wait!!

I used 2x3 for the platform and legs...I’m thinking about adding another 2x3 to each leg for better support. Kids have been climbing on it and it doesn’t wobble or anything but just in case. I am using 2x2 for all framing including rafters and doors. All pieces are glued, screwed, and nailed together :). Everything is holding up pretty well. The build is at a stand still for now. I need 2 sheets of plywood to finish it off. I can’t wait!!

Wow! Sounds like it could withstand a natural disaster :D I’d personally support them as well. Maybe even consider angle braces? I build everything “beefy” but I used 4x4 posts for my legs. To me, id rather be safe than sorry.

The reason I asked about 2x2’s is a friend asked me to build her a small coop and I was going to go with 2x3’s. I’m hoping to not overdo it on weight being it will be transported but want it to be solid and predator proof. Looking forward to seeing pics after plywood installation!

Wow! Sounds like it could withstand a natural disaster :D I’d personally support them as well. Maybe even consider angle braces? I build everything “beefy” but I used 4x4 posts for my legs. To me, id rather be safe than sorry.

The reason I asked about 2x2’s is a friend asked me to build her a small coop and I was going to go with 2x3’s. I’m hoping to not overdo it on weight being it will be transported but want it to be solid and predator proof. Looking forward to seeing pics after plywood installation!

I don’t know about a natural disaster lol but where I am in Texas we don’t get a lot of those. Occasionally a tornado here and there but it never comes our way. Mostly just thunderstorms. 2x2’s are very light and so far with where it’s at right now I can lift it with 1 arm. If you do use 2x2 make sure to pre drill all holes!! If not you will end up splitting the wood. My process has been predrill, glue, screw and nail. Wait for dry time before handling and then paint. 2x2’s that I got aren’t treated so I finally settled on 2 coats of Bher Ultra exterior flat paint and primer in one. I already had to spray off the doors (not installed yet) bc the chickens roosted above them and pooped them up. It held up to the jet setting on my water hose :).

I’m a big fan on building in panels! I didn’t completely do it with this build though since it’s not going anywhere anytime soon. If you build in square/ rectangular panels you can easily put it up and take it down whenever. If you plan on moving the build after it’s built then this would be an easy fix regardless of it being 2x2 or 2x3. I’ve built an 8’x16’ aviary that way with the panels bolted together and moving it was a breeze!

Back
Top Bottom