New to building coops..need advice from the seasoned chicken owners!

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by CherG07, Sep 11, 2019.

1. aart

aart Chicken Juggler!

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    The paper doesn't matter....as long as things are proportional with all dimensions needed.
    You could use 2 of the nests for feed and water space.

Not sure about painting the plastic roofing, painting plastic can be tricky and it's really ugly if it doesn't stick and starts to chip and peel. Might ask at the HD paint department for advice.

Where in this world are you located?
    Climate, and time of year, is almost always a factor.
    Please add your general geographical location to your profile.
    It's easy to do, (laptop version shown), then it's always there
    upload_2019-9-14_10-24-0.png

2. CherG07

CherG07 In the Brooder

May 30, 2019
    White Settlement, Texas
    image.jpg
    White would have drove me nuts with how much yuck I’d get to see. I did go with a very bright color though, squash blossom yellow. The whole inside will be done in that color and I haven’t decided yet if I want to use the yellow or Living Stream blue for the main exterior. Blue body with yellow trim or vise versa. Right now my chickens are in an old aviary with access to my garden. I was supposed to build this in May but my husband got sick and the funds haven’t been the same since. BUT now I have a job (I was a stay at home mom) and my husband got a job offer making more money yay! I’ve been sitting on these plans for what seems like forever!!! I never thought about calking but I have plenty! I love DE so I will be using it on the coop floors under the bedding. I’m so ready and excited for our babies (not so much babies anymore) to have a real home! And yes, lots of coats of paint. Here’s the progress. I’m waiting for paint to dry so I can do another. This is the back and front wall frames, and then the legs and floor supports. I haven’t painted the 8 footers yet I have to do those outside bc our garage is a mess.

Criticalicious likes this.
  3. CherG07

CherG07 In the Brooder

May 30, 2019
    White Settlement, Texas
    View attachment 1907705
    White would have drove me nuts with how much yuck I’d get to see. I did go with a very bright color though, squash blossom yellow. The whole inside will be done in that color and I haven’t decided yet if I want to use the yellow or Living Stream blue for the main exterior. Blue body with yellow trim or vise versa. Right now my chickens are in an old aviary with access to my garden. I was supposed to build this in May but my husband got sick and the funds haven’t been the same since. BUT now I have a job (I was a stay at home mom) and my husband got a job offer making more money yay! I’ve been sitting on these plans for what seems like forever!!! I never thought about calking but I have plenty! I love DE so I will be using it on the coop floors under the bedding. I’m so ready and excited for our babies (not so much babies anymore) to have a real home! And yes, lots of coats of paint. Here’s the progress. I’m waiting for paint to dry so I can do another. This is the back and front wall frames, and then the legs and floor supports. I haven’t painted the 8 footers yet I have to do those outside bc our garage is a mess.

rangehen likes this.
  4. CherG07

CherG07 In the Brooder

May 30, 2019
    White Settlement, Texas
    I’m in Texas. I can ask Home Depot for advice. I could also take a scrap piece and put the paint to the test. I’d paint the underside of the roofing so the elements don’t get to it. I did go in and make that location change. Great idea on the nestbox use!!! I’ll use one side for the food and water then :) My three girls aren’t going to need all 8 right now anyway and I can go ahead and change the plans to where the dividers are removable.

Sequel likes this.
  5. aart

aart Chicken Juggler!

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    That might help...but still.
    Why do you need to paint it?

6. CherG07

CherG07 In the Brooder

May 30, 2019
    White Settlement, Texas
    It’s clear and see through. The coop is going to be in the shade but I figured they wouldn’t feel as secure with the roof and tops of the nest boxes being see through:idunno If it doesn’t mater then I won’t paint it.

7. I’d be more concerned with it becoming an oven in the summertime...

aart likes this.
  8. CherG07

CherG07 In the Brooder

May 30, 2019
    White Settlement, Texas
    I worry about that too. It gets so hot here. The location is shaded the entire day though and it gets a nice cross breeze. I have a wireless weather monitor already being used. I plan to mount it in the coop. It’s a little white box that sends readings to a tablet type thing in our bedroom which hangs on the wall. It tells us the temp, humidity, if it’s raining or sunny ect. If it gets too hot my husband is handy and can make some window fans to mount outside of the vent windows. Do you think leaving it clear and not painting the roofing will make it hotter?

9. aart

aart Chicken Juggler!

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
  10. I think I’d paint it - a light color to reflect the sun. I’d probably just use white Kilz or Zinsser.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: