New to building coops..need advice from the seasoned chicken owners!

Paint is one of the least important details.
Size and ventilation come first in design priorities, IMO.

Vinyl?
Don't glue it down, just tack it at the edges.

You’re right. Glue is just an extra expense...I think I might go with others recommendations though to use the roofing stuff but I don’t like how dark it is :/ boo. It’s 8x4 foot coop, with nest boxes on both sides of the length equalling 8 total (not necessary I know but it looks good lol) It’s 24” off the ground. The height is 4 foot in the front with a single slope toward the back which is 3 feet...that’s where my cleanout doors will be The coop is going to have ventilation on all 4 sides. 2 at 1x2’ up front, 2 at 1x3 1/2 in the back on the doors, and one on each side :)

I painted the inside of my coop to make it easier to clean rather than bare wood. The floor has a sheet of glassboard which also scrubs clean easily.

For the inside of my coop I bought a latex paint from the clearance section of the hardware store. I wanted an outdoor paint but they only had indoor on clearance and the chickens don't care what color it is (it's pink). The roosts I painted with white Barn paint. The outside of the coop came painted with Behr outdoor paint. So far it's holding up well against the elements.
I told my husband about the glass board...he knows what it is but I don’t lol. He said that’s perfect for the floor. As for the paint I picked bher premium plus exterior flat. It’s scrubable and it says it durable. I could of probably picked a different option but this coop will only hold 8 chickens and I know me... there will be more chickens lol.

Just because of the rabbits and the dogs, we use the non-toxic barn paint. The Home Depot, (I wish I could remember the brand, it wasn't Behr), $14 per gallon here, covers very well. Only draw back, I think three colors, and they won't tint it. Rural King, (a store that I love), their house brand of barn paint, I was very disappointed in. It wouldn't cover worth a darn, three coats, where the HD took two. I have good luck with their enamels. It could have been a bad can, but I'm not buying a second to find out. Good luck finishing the rest of your build.

Great to hear :celebrate I would recommend sealing the floor though with a good exterior water proofing. I sealed the interior of our girls sleeping quarters with BEHR Premium transparent water proofing wood finish 2 years ago and it still looks new and has never bothered them. Good luck!
Will this work over paint? I’m using bher premium plus flat exterior paint.

M
If you are using something like T1-11 siding, an opaque stain looks just like paint & doesn't peel off in later years. You just have to clean & re-stain once in awhile. My grey stained coop has only been stained 3 times in 26 years. If you use something like OSB, this will not work.
I’m not putting in too much extra. The outside will basically be plywood. Here in a min I’m going to draw up the plans and post a pic for everyone.

Back
Top Bottom