New to BYC and new to chickens!

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by brad5155, Jan 31, 2016.

1. brad5155

brad5155 New Egg

Jan 29, 2016
    Hey guys just dropping in to introduce myself. My wife and I along with our 5 boys just bought 15 acres of woodland here in Southwest Michigan. I'm excited to get working on some projects but first order of business next to getting some bees will be a chicken coop. I'm going to need two coops so first I'm thinking of building a mobile tractor and using that to work the ground where my future gardens will be and in the meantime work on our bigger coop. Wife and I are thinking somewhere between 15 and 20 birds. We know, due to our location and observances, that we will have to deal with predators. there are many coyotes, foxes and other preds to chose from. Because of this and some pretty significant snowfall numbers, we think we'd like to have our coops by the house.......like within 30 feet or so.

Breeds we are looking at:
    Black Australorp
    Lavender Orpingtons
    and a few others

would love any insight or input you all might have. God bless!

2. Yorkshire Coop

Yorkshire Coop Moderator Staff Member

Aug 16, 2014
    Yorkshire, UK
    My Coop
    Hi :welcome

Glad you could join the flock! Congrats on your move and impending chicken adventures :clap
    The learning centre would be a great place for you to check out, lots of great articles to help you and your family get started. Here is the link ~ https://www.backyardchickens.com/atype/1/Learning_Center

The coop section is also great for lots of ideas on differing coops and tractors ~ https://www.backyardchickens.com/atype/2/Coop_Designs

Wishing you the very best of luck, be sure to ask all the questions you need to. Everyone here to help and very friendly.

Enjoy BYC :frow

3. sunflour

sunflour Flock Master Premium Member Project Manager

Jan 10, 2013
    Macon,GA
    [​IMG] so glad you have joined us.

Good luck with your plans and new adventure.

4. TheTwoRoos

TheTwoRoos Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 25, 2015
    welcome to byc

5. Michael OShay

Michael OShay Chicken Obsessed

May 14, 2014
    Montana
    1 person likes this.
  6. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    Agree with Michael, you need a Fort Knox of a coop and also covered run, etc to keep your birds safe. Knowing your birds are safe from predators= will certainly add to the enjoyment of having your own flock.

7. gander007

gander007 Chicken Obsessed

Alright [​IMG] great to have you joining the BYC flock [​IMG]

It is nice to be reading about the whole family getting into raising some chickens that is how I learned about poultry [​IMG] [​IMG]

Check out the BYC learning center [​IMG]

8. BantamFan4Life

BantamFan4Life LOOK WHAT YOU MADE ME DO. Premium Member

Jun 15, 2012
    Washington
    My Coop
    Welcome to BYC! I'm glad you joined us! :)

9. Pork Pie Ken

Pork Pie Ken Monkey Business Premium Member

Jan 30, 2015
    Africa - near the equator
    Hi and welcome to BYC! It seems like you have exciting times ahead of you and i wish you all the best with your new venture.

All the best
    CT

10. NickyKnack

NickyKnack Love is Silkie soft!

Hello!
    [​IMG]
    Welcome to BYC and the coop! There's a lot of great peeps here! Feel free to ask lots of questions. But most of all, make yourself at home. I'm so glad you decided to join the BYC family. I look forward to seeing you around BYC.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by