New to BYC . Desperately in need of Advice/Guidance

Rabi Gabriel

Chirping
Dec 28, 2020
In the morning caught the rooster pecking the hen on the head so badly that she was bleeding i quickly removed her from there she was fully wet and tired from running getting beaten up. I've cleaned her wounds applied Polyfax Ointment. Feathers were a mess, huge patches of plucked out feathers and scratches. Her poop is watery brown but yesterday it was milky color. My dad is saying that she might be suck that's why the rooster tired to kill her. PLEASE HELP.

(1) Are you new to chickens / when did you first get chickens?

Yes, totally new to owning chickens. My parents received chickens from a friend, he wasn't able to takecare of them due to his work.
(2) How many chickens do you have right now?
(3) What breeds do you have?
Misri
(4) What are your favorite aspects of raising backyard chickens?
Their are like little bundle of joy for me. Seeing them happy and free playing in the dirt running back of each other and towards me when I bring food for them.
(5) What are some of your other hobbies?
Cooking, sketching, loving animals, decorating for family events and trying out new things without having to go all out of my comfort zone.
(6) Tell us about your family, your other pets, your occupation, or anything else you'd like to share.
I'm a student and I have 5 ADORABLE hens and 1 rooster have been taking care of them since march. Would love to be friends with fellow animal lovers.
(7) Bonus: How did you find BYC, how long have you known about BYC, and what made you finally join our awesome community? :D

My rooster idk y has beaten up the hen so badly I'm in desperate need of guidance. Kept searching for answers online and stumbled upon BYC website.

Last edited:
Thank you. I immediately separated the hen and cleaned her wounds applied Polyfax Ointment. She isn't moving so much and is just standing while her eyes are closed. Is this a normal reaction?
She's in pain. Can you please post a picture of her injuries?
Have these birds always been together in the flock? Was the hen or the rooster recently introduced? How old are they?

Welcome to BYC! You've come to the right place. I agree with @Pork Pie, the first step is to separate your rooster to give the beat up hen a break. Are you able to do that?
Yes, I was able to do it. I had a medium-sized large bird cage I brought her inside the house and dried her with the towel by lightly dabbing, cleaned up her wounds too but she seems to be so exhausted keeps standing while her eyes are closed. I feed her a lil bit and she drank water.. I'm so worried.

Ye
She's in pain. Can you please post a picture of her injuries?
Have these birds always been together in the flock? Was the hen or the rooster recently introduced? How old are they?
s, I can post the pictures of her I was in such a rush that I didn't get a chance to get my phone. They have been together since they were little(i got htem when they were 2 or 3months old) and did fight a little bit at times but today was a shocker.

Back
Top Bottom