New to Chick

Is Purina Chick Starter good feed?

• Total voters
I agree with the rest. You will get 1 maybe 2 weeks out of that cabinet before they outgrow it. What are you using for a heat source? I did not see any heat lamp or heat plate in your set up. Also I would ditch those lids and actually by 1 quart feeder and a no drown waterer for them. Those lids are just going to get dumped and pooped all in. I found a great video when I was first getting started it is a bit long but well worth watching .

eggs-saying-hiclear.gif
wave high happy.gif

Hello and welcome to BYC! :frow Glad you joined.
They are going to outgrow that brooder extremely fast. You are also going to have chicks flying around the garage within a week if you don't put a screen over the top of that cabinet while you search for something bigger.
I recommend a trough style feeder kept up on two 2x8 boards stacked on top of each other to help minimize the amount of shavings they are gong to kick into the feed.
I also recommend fashioning a homemade "baby bottle" to keep their water clean for the same reason.
This cost me less than $10 to make and I still use it regularly with the adult flock for various reasons.
View attachment 1865422
Thank you , we learned the hard way about the feed and water. We have had to change it every few hours. We will get some new feeders and bottles this weekend. Thank you. Yes, they are already jumping & fluttering pretty high so we will upgrade their home this weekend.

Welcome to BYC. It's good to have ya! We have a very friendly and helpful group here.

I agree with Dobie. I found out the hard way, just how fast chicks grow. I originally had a 24 gallon plastic tub for my 15 chicks. I had to quickly expand that to two 24 gallon tubs plus a 15 gallon--all connected with a tunnel. The chicks double in size in a week, and just keep growing.

Enjoy your chicks. They are so much fun to watch grow! ❤️
Thank you, we are upgrading them this weekend. I like the tunnel idea!

Back
Top Bottom