new to chicken ownership

GoodieWhemper

Hatching
Apr 4, 2017
Cambridge UK
Hi I was bought up in a household that kept hens and ducks for eggs, but at 57 I have just got 3 girls of my own. Michonne is a goldline, Maggie a Bluebelle and Carole a light Sussex. I got them at 15 weeks and I love them, six weeks later and all 3 are providing an egg a day. I have been lurking even before I got the hens reading advice on the forum. I have been looking at the good tips on keeping them from making too much noise as Carole in particular can be loud in the morning. I am going to try the tips with treats as covering the coop hasn't worked. Looking forward to discussing rather than just reading!
1f60a.png

Last edited:
Greetings from across the pond, GoodieWhemper, and :welcome! Happy you joined our community! I don't have much advice as I live in the country and my assorted flock of guineas, geese, chickens, and turkeys can be as loud as they want and no one is around to hear them. Someone may chime in soon with some advice. You might consider posting in this forum: https://www.backyardchickens.com/f/18/chicken-behaviors-and-egglaying
And if you'd like to converse with some fellow U.K. poultry folk, here's a link for that: https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/2199/anyone-in-england
Best wishes and thank you for joining BYC! :)

Welcome to BYC! Thanks for joining us.

Some chickens are just louder than others, but there might be some things you can do to keep them a little quieter. Maybe try letting them out of the coop earlier and feeding them at the same time. :)

Hello there and welcome to BYC!
frow.gif

Ahh...you and I are the same age.
wink.png
It's never too late in life to get yourself involved in chickens. I too was raised in a household that raised chickens for eggs and meat. I sort of forgot about them until this past decade. I guess once chickens get into your blood, you can never get them out. Ha!

Enjoy all your poultry adventures and welcome to our roost! :)

welcome-byc.gif

Looks to me like someone is a Walking Dead fan, lol. Me too, crazy show but it's one of the few I watch.

Thanks for joining us!

Yep love the Walking Dead ladies! My son says that getting chickens and giving them those names plus starting a kitchen garden looks like I am planning for an apocalypse!

Back
Top Bottom